Disable .Trashes?

_sergey_

No Reptile Testing
When I connect my MP3 player (not an iPod :)) to the Mac and delete some files, Mac OS X creates a folder .Trashes in the volume root and just moves all the files I intended to delete there.

The only reason to delete files is of course freeing some space... and to free it I have to empty the system trash (which is not good).

Is there any way to tell Mac OS X that it should not create a .Trashes folder there and remove the files permanently or at least move them to the trash on the local disk?

Thanks!

Zammy-Sam said:
Use TinkerTool to avoid deleted files being stored in a trash folder. But this will affect the whole system.
Thanks, I'll take a look. But anyway I would like Trash work on the hard drives...

For now it looks like using shell and rm -R is the only way :)

Disabling Mac OS X Trash
By default Mac does not delete files immediately, they are moved to a .Trashes hidden folder on the same volume and erased when the trash is emptied.
This is normally quite useful but it gets really annoying with external USB disk: if you forget to clear the trash and give the disk to someone it will look full while no file is visible.
To disable the trash on a given volume:
Code:
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/YOURVOLUME/.Trashes
sudo touch /Volumes/YOURVOLUME/.Trashes

Where YOURVOLUME is the name of your attached device as named by Mac, which will appear on your desktop.

By replacing the .Trashes dir with the .Trashes file, mac will from now on delete files immediately from this volume (with an additional warning).
Trick by JC

Back