Disabling firewall

Kinniken

Registered
I've been toying recently with Brickhouse, and now I do not seem to be able to disable the firewall... It will load at every startup (taking at least 20 sec), and it will block ANY connection until I manualy stop it. The strangest part is that when I open brickhouse, it says the firewall is off; but it only stops after turning it on, and then off again.
This is getting very annoying; any help welcome.

To stop the firewall from loading on startup open Brickhouse in the Options menu first clear all rules and then check remove startup-items. After that see if the startupitems really are removed. You can see that in /Library/StartupItems. There shouldn’t be a folder called “firewall”. If it is still there trash it. This startupitem fires up the firewall on startup. After the next reboot the firewall should not start.

Even though it is recommended to use a firewall, especially if you have an always-on connection through a router or directly using PPoE for example. I found out that the internal OSX firewall ipfw, which is configured through Brickhouse defining the ipfw rules on GUI-basis, is very slow. NetBarrier is much faster. But it really depends on what kind of network you are working on, if you have a network running and what type of connection you use to say how you would have to configure the firewall. I also found out that if you set up the optional Domain-Name in the Network-Preferences DNS resolution is much faster than with just the DNS IPs set up. So if you have Brickhouse configured correctly startup with a correct Domain-Name set up is really fast.

The previous poster is quite right. You need to clear the rules in brick house to disable the startup script.

I had a few problems after fiddling with brickhouse for a while, but this was due to 2 different firewall setting (one for my user account, one for admin).

You shouldn't have too much of a speed problem. I'm using a 56K dial up modem, and don't have a noticeable speed problem with Brickhouse running.

PS: the port setting for Quake 3 Arena are incorrect in Brickhouse. You need to set up a custom service for it (although it still screws up with the supposed correct setting - something to do with incoming ports on UDP I hear).

I've found that both BrickHouse and FireWalk X fail to actually turn off the firewall when told. That being said, I ventured a while ago to check for a way to clear all rules via the command line, and it was actually pretty simple. Just issue the command sudo ipfw flush, enter your admin password, and then confirm the flushing by pressing y and then return.

To confirm that the firewall is off, just type sudo ipfw list, type in your admin password, and then it should say 65535 allow ip from any to any. If it says that, the firewall is off!

Back