Disabling the Finder

HECTORdaBIZATCH

Registered
All right-- I'm using SNAX and I don't want the Finder open any more. I can shut it down after I login, but I just want it to act like a regular application: launch if I tell it to, and not automatically upon login.

So, I tried to trick it like I do when I don't want the Dock to automatically run: I changed the name of /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder to Finder.old. Then I killed the Finder. It worked great, I thought, until I restarted my computer. Apparently, you can't log in if the system can't find the Finder... or so it appeared. I entered my name and password and it just sat there thinking for a good five minutes before I gave up and rebooted into OS9 to change the Finder's name back.

Anyway, does anybody have any ideas? Is there maybe a good way to make the OS think that SNAX is the Finder?

...and assuming I can find a good way of doing this, anybody know if you can get rid of the Finder's icon in the Dock? I doubt it, but maybe there's another one of those preference settings that you can't get to (like 'suck-in' minimizing) that does this?

Just name Snax.app Finder.app and place it into the System Folder. This works for almost any program in OS X. Since apple isn't pushing the unique file ID heavily, you'll find ( until they fix this ) that this works.

Anyway, does anybody have any ideas? Is there maybe a good way to make the OS think that SNAX is the Finder?

Goto the How-to's forum, there is a descirption of how to do this exact operation.

Goto the How-to's forum, there is a descirption of how to do this exact operation.

Back