Disabling VM

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
Does anyone know how to disable virtual memory in OSX? I have 894MB of RAM which I think would be plenty for OSX and applications, but OSX still uses the VM.

OS X is a real operating system that always uses its virtual memory system. Just ignore it and you're fine.

No way to "disable" VM, it's a basic element of the OS.
You might want to try creating a dedicated swap partition. Some folks report that this makes their systems respond more quickly.

The operating system takes care of that. If you have many pageouts although you're using more than 800 megs of memory, then you're using an application that *definitely* has a memory leak. Just leave it to the operating system.

It's one of the nice things about our new system: It actually *has* memory management. :)

Well, I just got my copy of the 10.1 update finally from a local store. They had such a large number of people wanting it that I had to wait for them to order more from Apple. So far all I've been using is Explorer(I wouldn't put it past MS to have it full of memory leaks), and that's basically it so far.

I know I read in another thread a while ago of a way to disable the VM, but I might try moving the swap file to my second disk.

Originally posted by genghiscohen
No way to "disable" VM, it's a basic element of the OS.
You might want to try creating a dedicated swap partition. Some folks report that this makes their systems respond more quickly.

how to create the swap partition? any easy ways?

The swap partition is already created by default on the same drive as OSX is installed. I think it's in Private/var/ or something like that.

I found a while ago how to do it in one thread but I don't recall how to do it. It involves modifying some config files. I'll see if I can find it.

First, you should never disable VM under OS X. Doing this would cause you more headaches then it is probably worth. Instead, focus on improving your VM's performance, as well as OS X's, and you will live a long and happy day.

1.) Use window compression. This will save you a great deal of RAM, and cut down on disk thrashing.
There is a thread within this site's Tips & Tricks section which desribes how to do it. Takes all of three minutes, and works wonderfully.

2.) Keep your disk optimized. Every time I feel OS X slowing down, I know that I must do three things. First, run through and delete or move any extranuos large files you may have galavanting around your startup partition. Second, boot into single-user mode, run fsck. Third, get a copy of Norton 6.0 and run speed disk, wiping blank space.

3.)And yes, you can move your swap file. It's located under /var/vm. Follow one of the hundreds of tutorials around the net, and you should be fine.

Back