Disappearing iMovie File

peanutbutter

Registered
Hello all -- here's a bit of a complicated problem (the story is kind of lengthy), but try to bear with me, and muchas gracias for any input...

I share my computer (iMac G5 running OS 10.3.5) with a couple of other family members and we each have our own user accounts. I have been working on a little iMovie project called "Sam." Let's say that my account is called "peanutbutter." In that case, the project was saved in Users -> peanutbutter -> Movies. When I was out of the house, this other person (let's call him "familymember") logged in as me ("peanutbutter") and went to peanutbutter -> Movies -> Sam. Then, while still logged in as me, dragged the .imovie file found in "Sam" INTO Users -> familymember -> Public -> Drop Box. Note that he moved just the .imovie file, not the entire project folder called "Sam" (maybe that makes a difference, I don't know).

So when he went to open the .imovie file, now in the familymember Public folder, it was one black frame and I think some garbled stuff. I don't know for sure, because, before I got back, he deleted this file.

Obviously the point here is to get the .imovie file back. I've done some poking around for it and I don't see it anywhere. There is a QuickTime .mov of the movie saved, but nothing that iMovie can actually edit.

If anyone out there has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it if you shared it. Thank you!

Did the file actually have a period (.) in front of the name? That would make it invisible.

Have you searched your drive for the name of the file, choosing invisible and invisible in the Find window?

The point of having User Accounts is to keep others out of your stuff so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Back