Disappearing networked drives/volumes

GogoDiscoMac

Registered
Hi,

I'm running a powerMac with Mac Os 10.5.8. Hard wired to this mac is an apple server as well as two external drives. We've got two imacs(09 models) connected via network both running MacOs 10.5.8.

Ordinarily, when you go to Go menu/Connect to server to connect to the Pmac from either imac, you see the main drive, the second internal drive, the server, the two external drives, the home folder and the shared folder. periodically throughout the past few years sometimes the external drives wouldn't show, but a restart would fix that.

today, its decided to only show the home folder and the shared folder.
mind you all drives show up on the desktop just fine..

I've booted off the install disk and repaired disk through disk utilities. No Problems. I've also repaired permissions. Using Cocktail application, I ran all cron scripts, rebuilt the launch Service database, updated the whatis and locate databases, cleared system and user default caches and restarted.
I turned off both drives and the server as well as unplugged the network port switch; waited a few min before turning everything back on.
connected to server through imac one and it showed everything.. woohoo
patted myself on the shoulder and broke out the cigars..
went to imac two, home and shared folder only.... ???
Went back to imac one, home and shared folder only. WTF??!
put away the cigars and slapped myself up side the head.

any suggestions as to how i can harpoon this lil gremlin messing around with my network? why would it show all connected volumes one second and then not show anything but the home and shared folder the next?

need any more info from me?

Have you checked that IP addresses aren't changing ?
Have you tried Go to Server > browse or input IP address instead of using the saved/bookmarked connections?

hi Gsahli, thank you for your comment.
I tried the browse method as well as inputing the ip address manually and i got the same thing. its connecting to the right computer its just not displaying any of the drives. i feel like its something stupid somewhere thats been clicked off somehow lol.
Shot in the dark here, but is there a preference that logs or saves that info? maybe that's what's glitched?

I Did try to manually input the IP addresses as well as use the browse option, same thing. I dont think the IP address is changing though because its displaying and granting access to the correct home folder and shared folder. its just not showing anything else.

i tried cycling file sharing off/on and no go.
I downloaded the macos 10.5.8. combo kit and installed it hoping that would do it...no go.
i was avoiding having to reinstall system software from the disc because its such a process of updating this and updating that... but that seems to be my only option left... unless you or anyone else....anyone anyone? can come up with another possible solution

Back