Disappearing Task Bar Icons

jonparadise

Registered
I bought a Powerbook G4 a couple of weeks ago, everything works great, apart from the Task Bar.

I have added Icons for Keychain, Displays, International Prefs and iSync.

I have found that when I restart my system, all these Icons disappear, and I have to reset them all again.

I've done all the usual, repaired permissions etc, but it still seems to have gone a bit pear shaped.

Any advice?

jonparadise said:
I bought a Powerbook G4 a couple of weeks ago, everything works great, apart from the Task Bar.

I have added Icons for Keychain, Displays, International Prefs and iSync.

I have found that when I restart my system, all these Icons disappear, and I have to reset them all again.

I've done all the usual, repaired permissions etc, but it still seems to have gone a bit pear shaped.

Any advice?

Well this is a little confusing... the "Taskbar" as you call it, according to you, is performing three distinct tasks, none of which make sense.

Let me elaborate... the Mac OS X Dock, as the strip of icons at the bottom of your screen is called, holds programs on the left and documents on the right. Launching a program displays it in the Dock until that program is quit.

Now the reason your post made no sense is because the Dock has nothing to do with International Prefs or Displays. All preferences are handled by the System Preferences application. In fact, the only items on your list that would/should appear in the Dock at all are iSync and (maybe) Keychain...

I don't know what icon you're seeing for something like International Prefs or Displays, unless you're referring to the "tray" at the top of the System Preferences window. If you drag your most-used preference panes up there, they should stay up there. If, however, you're talking about the Dock, be aware that when an application launches its icon will always be in the Dock until it quits. To add something to the Dock and get it to stay there, drag it from the Finder directly onto the Dock, or if it's already running, right-click (or control-click, or click-and-hold) and choose Keep in Dock.

If icons are still disappearing, or if you could be a bit more specific about what you're doing, let us know!

Bluefusion said:
Well this is a little confusing... the "Taskbar" as you call it, according to you, is performing three distinct tasks, none of which make sense.

Let me elaborate... the Mac OS X Dock, as the strip of icons at the bottom of your screen is called, holds programs on the left and documents on the right. Launching a program displays it in the Dock until that program is quit.

Now the reason your post made no sense is because the Dock has nothing to do with International Prefs or Displays. All preferences are handled by the System Preferences application. In fact, the only items on your list that would/should appear in the Dock at all are iSync and (maybe) Keychain...

I don't know what icon you're seeing for something like International Prefs or Displays, unless you're referring to the "tray" at the top of the System Preferences window. If you drag your most-used preference panes up there, they should stay up there. If, however, you're talking about the Dock, be aware that when an application launches its icon will always be in the Dock until it quits. To add something to the Dock and get it to stay there, drag it from the Finder directly onto the Dock, or if it's already running, right-click (or control-click, or click-and-hold) and choose Keep in Dock.

If icons are still disappearing, or if you could be a bit more specific about what you're doing, let us know!

Hmm, not quite sure of the correct name for it, but I meant the bar that runs a long the top of the screen. The icons are the ones that are displayed on the top right, next to the clock.

Hope this helps.

Ah, you are talking about the Menu Bar! I'm pretty sure all these icons are User specific, so you could set up a new User Account and see if the same thing happens when you log into it. I had a similar experience once because of updating some haxies before Menu Extra Enabler. But in your case... ?

Thanks Andy, I think you may have hit the nail on the head there, I installed Fruitmenu the other day, I think that could be the cause!

Thanks again.

Hmmm, if you were installing FM from scratch it should not have given you any problems, because Unsanity includes all the right APE stuff with the installer. It is updating haxies that is most often the cause of SNAFUs, as Unsanity's installers are notoriously bad at removing previous, incompatible files. I had to do a search and trash of all my haxies and related files before reinstalling APE and ME for Panther. But at least now everything works fine for me. And as I suddenly recall, it was WeatherManX or one of its many confusing incarnations that really loused up my Menu Bar. The weird thing was that Weatherwhatever would not appear there, although apparently it was still running in the background and knocking all my other icons off the Menu Bar. Finally was able to install a working Weather version up there, think it is WeatherMenu.menu.

Another thing that I have read on macosxhints is FileVault causing menu extras not to stick, so you might want to see if you have that turned on (it is off by default.)

Hope everything goes okay.

Back