disappearing windows

John Melby

Registered
I've been using OS X for a year now, and everything has been working as it should. However, within the past few days, a very annoying problem has cropped up, and I'd like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and has figured out how to correct it.

The problem is that if I have a window open and I try to open another window (for example, if a Mail window is open and I try to open a Terminal window, or any other kind of window, for that matter), the previous window disappears when the new window opens. If I close the new window, then the old window reappears.

If I create a new user, this problem goes away as long as the new user is running--so I figured that it must be a Preferences problem. Nope. I tried moving the preferences to another folder, testing to determine if the problem still existed, and then moving the preference files back into the Preferences folder, with no luck. I tried moving every preference file that I could out of the Preferences folder and then opening windows, but the problem is still there.

Can anyone out there shed some light on how to fix this?
-------------------------
John Melby
Emeritus Professor of Music
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

jbmelby@home.com

http://www.johnmelby.com

Back