disc "clean" utility...?

alexandr

kosmonaut
is there in os x possible to search your disc for failures or fllaws in order to make it run better...?

just thinking, since i've just my machine for almost a year now, i've never like fragmented the disc(like in windows) or done anything to kind a make it run at its best, or clean up my or its own failures of the past..

is there some way this can be done automaticly in os x, some software i can run or anything - please tell the newbie!

alex.

Defragmentation, AFAIK, is not necessary. What you could do is make sure that the regular scripts in OS X run and from time to time, when you deem it necessary, repair your permissions (Disk Utility->Verify/Repair Permissions).
When you have a grave error or problem, you might have to check the filesystem by booting from a CD and using Disk Utility->Verify/Repair Disk.
You can run the standard scripts by hand in your terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal) by typing "sudo periodic x" (without the quotes) where x is "daily", "weekly" or "monthly".

To make OS X run faster, there are other things you might try, such as using more RAM (depends on what you do) or disabling some graphic effects (there are utilities for this).

If you post what machine you have and what software you run most of the time we could come up with more suggestions.
:)

Cocktail is a good and free app to help clean up some things. Check macupdate.com or versiontracker and you'll find plenty of other stuff to help tweak the system and keep it running smoothly. And if you haven't already, use Disk Utility and repair permissions, especially if you've done any major software installation and/or upgrade.

You might want to condiser getting DiskWarrior

Run this once a month and you'll see noticeable difference in system performance.

I would recommend having that utility and also TechTool Pro. Leave your machine on 24/7 and it'll take care of most minor problems with it's middle of the night maintanence procedures.

Well let me ask this, since i have this constant problem...

If my permissions keep needing to be repaired, what is causing this? Nobody has yet to reply to my automatic logout thread, I have no crashes, but i get logged out while working, and every time I was using Photoshop 7.

Stuff gets corrupted, certain things conflict... I don't know the specific reason, but it's like needing to rebuild your desktop: you just, well, need to. It's maintenance, like when you change your oil and wash the car.

Well I wiped my drive and reinstalled everything prior to the blackout, I believe it was the weekend before. So this is a new system versus the old one i had running since December 2002.

I use MACjanitor, i fount it on versiontracker,, it runs all the scripts for me, great for the PowerBook.

Urbansory

Create a new user and install Photoshop on that and see what happens. Don't put anything else on that user. You may have a haxie or some third party software causing your problem.

SYNERGY, or M-BEAT!!! I thought those could possibly be causing this, because this is a new problem. What i just found out was Synergy would crash Photoshop without a warning, while M-Beat would log me out completely. i will give the new user thing a try, but those are the only add ons, besides MaxMenus, and i've had that for over a year.

But if I'm the only one with this problem, and others use them, well Synergy to control iTunes, i wonder why. If i can get back up to 1 week uptime without restarting because apps quit, or I get logged out, i would be happy with that. if i do a lot of design, which is daily, that does something that causes me to have to restart.

Back