Disc Utility access

Captain Sulu

Registered
Hi, I wanted to run the 'repair' option under Disk Utilites to see if it solves an access rights permission problem when transfering things to and from my Winbox. I followed the below steps to do so but the Verify and Repair buttons are not accessible.

Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utilities -> 'First Aid' tab and then selecting 'verify' and 'repair'

I take it I need to be logged in as an administrator to do so???

thing is, I only have one user set up on the ibook. There doesn't seem to be an entry for me to log in as an administrator. So where to go if I wanted to do this?

Thanx for any response!

Capt. Sulu

Just take the 'repair permissions' button instead of the 'repair volume' button. The latter can only be used on a volume that's not the start volume. (Hence, for repairing the volume instead of the permissions, you'd obviously start up from a different device, for example the installation disk.)

Repair Permissions only effects applications and systems files and then only when...
  • the application or system installer has placed a package in the /Library/Receipts folder, and...
  • that package contains a BoM file, and...
  • the BoM file lists the correct ownership and permissions for that appliction or system component.
In no case does Repair Permissions have any effect on files in the user's home folder or on remote systems such as Windows servers. However, it is not a bad idea to run Repair Permissions after any major install or upgrade (assuming an installer was used) because the developers or the installer may change some permissions during the install and neglect to correct then at the end of the installation process, but it is extremely unlikely to help in your case.

Since there is only one apparent user on your system it is a safe bet that user has administrative privileges or you would not be able to install new applications or system updates. I said "apparent user" because there are in fact a number of other hidden "system" users on your system that are necessary for the operation of OS X.

Back