Disk Copy & Disk Utility "dying"

Kinniken

Registered
Both of those apps will simply quit when launched (appear in the dock for 2 sec then disapear)... any idea what I can do? Thing is, I cant use my FW HD properly in 10.1 (its based on that oxford chipset), and I cant upgrade to 10.1.1 till I can mount the image... =/

TIA,

Kinniken

Try deleting the prefs for both of those applications. They should be called "com.apple.diskcopy.plist" and "com.apple.diskutility.plist" or something to that effect.

Reinstalling OS X always does the trick, though. :p

for reinstalling, yeah, I had the problem in 10.0, clean-installed 10.1 and it disapeared for a while...
However if I can avoid it I dont fancy reinstalling everything ;-) (especialy since that mean repatching the OS (security and installer))

Your post got me curious, and I figured out how to get NetInfo Manager off the 10.1 update CD without reinstalling anything else. (it was dying on me in the same way that Disk Utility is for you)

I looked for Disk Utility on the update CD - that is the other app that dies on me like that - but I couldn't find it, maybe it wasn't updated in 10.1. I haven't looked for it on the original 10.0 CD yet.

In terminal:
$ cd "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install CD/System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg/Contents/Resources"
$ lsbom Essentials.bom | grep "Netinfo Manager"
that confirms that what I need is there
$ cp Essentials.pax.gz ~/Desktop
$ cd ~/Desktop
$ gunzip Essentials.pax.gz
wait a long time
$ pax -r -f Essentials.pax "./Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager.app/*"
The path was copied from the lsbom step above

And when that was done, I had a working copy of NetInfo Manager in Desktop/Applications/Utilities. Moved that into my regular apps folder, and everything seems fine.

Originally posted by scruffy

In terminal:

$ cd "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install CD/System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg/Contents/Resources"
$ lsbom Essentials.bom | grep "Netinfo Manager"
that confirms that what I need is there
$ cp Essentials.pax.gz ~/Desktop
$ cd ~/Desktop
$ gunzip Essentials.pax.gz
wait a long time
$ pax -r -f Essentials.pax "./Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager.app/*"

This can be done without having to copy then remove the pax.gz file (do this after lsbom):

Code:
gunzip -c Essentials.pax.gz | (cd ~/Desktop; pax -r "./Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager.app/*")

In case you don't have the disk space...or want to show off to any Windows users.

>>>Thing is, I cant use my FW HD properly in 10.1 (its based on that oxford chipset)<<<

HEy i am having this problem too.. OSX wont always recognize my FW hdd at staRT up or when i try and just plug it in whilst running.. It comes up with a message saying that a hd failed to mount and i should verify and repair the volume, which i do and try again and get same thing.. ?
I am using the latest osx version with sw update etc 10.1.1 and i thought i read in that sw update that it was adding better support for fw and usb devices...? Uhh mine's worse now, so i am spewing,...
i used to only get this problem once in a while, now it is at full time.. i cant use my 20 gb external FW drive unless i boot up in os i think (havent tried lately tho so im not too sure if it will work in os9, it better!)
So any thing i can do to get my FW hdd going again?

Back