Disk Image Fails to Mount

Iakoubi

Registered
Using Mac OS 10.4.2.
Noticed that couldn't open iChat (just jumps in Dock), tried to download new one and got the message:'The following disk images failed to mount. Reason:device is not configured'(.dmg file).
Tried to download some other software - the same.
Thank you for the chance to ask!

I got solution from somewhere else.. It worked now. If you still cannot get the solution then you may try the following.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031207012226892
Excerpts from the link:
I bought an iBook with OS X 10.3 and upgraded it to 10.3.1. After the upgrade, I could not mount disk images from my hard drive or burn CDs. Apparently this is a common problem after upgrading. I phoned AppleCare and this is what they had me do:
Run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.
Click on “Macintosh HD” in the left column and then press the “Repair Disk Permissions” button. I don’t think this step was part of the solution to my problem.
Delete the file called /System/Library/Extension.kextcache
Delete the folder called /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernalcaches/
Restart
After these steps, disk images mount properly and the CD burner works.

:mad: Hello to everyone, unfortunatly I've tried to delete files : extension.kextcaches & extension mkext & com.apple.kernelcaches... in order to fix my no mounting of image disk when I download new programs, and it doesn't work. Maybe, it makes a difference beacause I recently upgraded my os to 10.3.9 in absolut confidence with the updater apple program. If someone knows another solution to this problem that concerns so many mac users, please let me know. I would be very greatful. My english is really bad, but you know, I'm french... Thanks alot and maybe someone will help.

Hello Leto Woundedkne!
Follow step by step instruction from the following link. At first when I tried to just delete these files, it didn't work. But it work after following these steps. Hope it will help. Take care. NZ
Excerpts from the link:
I bought an iBook with OS X 10.3 and upgraded it to 10.3.1. After the upgrade, I could not mount disk images from my hard drive or burn CDs. Apparently this is a common problem after upgrading. I phoned AppleCare and this is what they had me do:
Click on “Macintosh HD” in the left column and then press the “Repair Disk Permissions” button. I don’t think this step was part of the solution to my problem.
Restart

Thanks for your help, I'm gonna try again to save my .dmg files... What's drive me mad, is to see how many people are facing this problem, and apple don't do nothing about it... Bye, I come back later to tell what happened...

I'm back, and did step by step what you told me to do, and seemed to work with your computer. I already found this solution on the apple site, but it didn't work better. I still can't mount image disk from downloaded files. I don't know why, because it seems to be the proper way for many users with the very same problem... If I find something new. I will let it know on the site... bye, and thanks again...

naushadzaman said:
I got solution from somewhere else.. It worked now. If you still cannot get the solution then you may try the following.

Excerpts from the link:
Restart
;) ;):mad:

Back