Disk Images not mounting

nbalthaser

Registered
I am running OS X PB on my powerbook bronze and can't get any disk images (or CDs) to show either on the desktop or in the finder. The strange thing is that they do show up in the disk utility. I don't have this problem with OS X on my Cube. Does anyone have a solution for this??

Sometimes, the cause is that the disk image is mounted on the invisible classic desktop layer instead of the OS X one. This happens because double clicking the file has launched the classic OS Disk Copy instead of the OS X version of it.

Do a "get info", and in the inspector, change the owner of the file to the OS X's disk image mounter.

Originally posted by Pascal
Sometimes, the cause is that the disk image is mounted on the invisible classic desktop layer instead of the OS X one. This happens because double clicking the file has launched the classic OS Disk Copy instead of the OS X version of it.

Do a "get info", and in the inspector, change the owner of the file to the OS X's disk image mounter.

Thanks for the pointer Pascal. I double checked to make sure that the Disk Copy application is the OS X version and not the Classic version and it was using the OS X version. I hadn't thought of that though. It's still not working and I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem? Is it perhaps native to the Powerbook? This whole thing came up because I'm trying to install OmniWeb but can't because the disk image won't mount.

Try launching the OS X Disk Copy first and then drag the disk image to it's window. Personally I've put an alias to Disk Copy on my desktop so I can drag images to it. Also note that OS X Disc Copy can mount some, but not all shrinkwrap images (you're out of luck for the others, have to convert them)

I have suddenly encountered the same issue with both self-mounting and .dmg images. Double-clicking in the finder will open Disk Copy and it will verify the image and state that the image is mounted, but it never appears anywhere on the desktop or on any of my volumes. Searching through Sherlock (even for "invisible" files) can't locate it either. If I try to trash the .smi or .dmg file, I'm told that I can't because "the file is in use..."

Apparently the system thinks the thing is mounted, but I don't have a clue where it is.

I just installed the 10.1 update to 5G64, and this is the first time I've encountered this issue. I'm not sure if it's a bug or what, but I've never had this problem with earlier versions of 10...

I am having the same problem... It's really a pain. I cannot mount some img or dmg files. Some work, but most don't

When I double click the file, OSX's version of DiskCopy launched, but it cannot varify the image. Then I try it again, and it says the image is in use or alrady mounted.

This is being discussed on Apple's discussion support site, but they have not come up with a solution last I time I checked.

Discussions > Mac OS X > Mac OS X (10.1) > Getting Started and General Use > Installation and Setup > Disk Copy Images not Displayed

http://www.apple.com/support

I checked that file and yes, Automount was set to "yes."

Looks like it might be the disk image itself. That's what the Apple guys are telling me.

I don't know if I believe them. The same image files work fine on another machine.

I've had the same problem on an ibook 2001, but my Quicksilver G4 is ok.. same os versions as well. What gives?

Perhaps not the most elegant, mac-like of solutions, but you could try the terminal utility "hdid" for disk images:

hdid path/to/disk.img

Also works for .dmg files.

Hi.
Check 2 see if there is a user and group called
'unknown' and 'nobody'

If not. Use Netinfo Manager 2 create them.
After that, the mounting should work.

2 check in the Terminal, type:
nicl . -list /users
nicl . -list /groups

Otherwise, use Netinfo Manager 2 see.

Hope this helps

I am having my doubts about the disk file now. I tried to mount it in OSX and it didn't work. I used the following methods.

1) Tryed using Disk Copy utility
Result: Error message indicating that the disk could not be read becuase it was not of a known format.

2) typed hdid /path_to/disk.img
Result: Error message indicating that the disk could not be read becuase it was not of a known format.

(of course I replaced the "path" with the actual path to the file, I didn't type exactly what you see above).

3) I tryed to use stuffit expander (OSX).
Result: nothing.. image did not mount - no error message.

4) I tryed mounting the image using stuffit expander (os9) from within Classic (running os9 within osx).

Result: Error message: "Stuffit Engine reported an error."

5) Started up in os9 and used disk copy
Result: Error message: "this is not a known form of compression.

By all accounts this disk image looks like it could NOT be mounted. Most people would stop here, I didn't, I pressed on to another option:

6) Started up to OS9, used stuffit expander
Result: IT WORKED!!

What gives? Why is this image not mounting? Most of the disk images I get have about a 50/50 chance of working in OSX. They always mount in OS9. Is this dumb luck? Is there a format of compression that ONLY os9 will allow the image to mount?

Are all disk images made the same?

That's an interesting observation...

In fact, now that you say that, I've noticed that the "trouble" disk images appear as a floppy style disk image on the os9 desktop.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the floppy-style disk image is the standard disk image icon.

I don't know if this is relevant, but it's worth mentioning.

Finally--a solution. The solution on this forum of making sure the "nobody" and "unknown" users exist solved the problem. After installing the latest update to OS X 10.1.2, I was unable to mount disk images or removable disks. After speaking with Apple's tech support and having the problem escalated several levels, the best they could suggest was to reinstall the OS. Not a good solution.

Thanks to this forum, creating a new "unknown" user brought my disk images and removables back to the desktop.

Thanks

Back