Disk utility internal error

ANID

Registered
"Disk utility internal has lost its connection with disk management tool and cannot continu. Please quit and relaunch Disk Utility."

When trying to do a first aid Disk utility verify disk permissions on Macintosh HD, the above message was given. What do I do to fix this problem.

From MacFixIt
Unable to run Disk Utility after update Several users have reported that they are unable to properly run Disk Utility after applying the iTunes 6.0.2 update, receiving the error message:
"Disk Utility lost connection with Disk Management Tool and cannot continue."
part-way through the repair process.
The problem generally affects users running Mac OS X 10.3.9.
MacFixIt reader Philip Wheelock writes:
"I installed iTunes 6.0.2 via Software Update; restarted and found I could not repair disk permissions with Disk Utility, even starting from system installer disk. Disk Utility stalls approximately 1/3 of the way through and displays this error message: 'Disk Utility has lost its connection with the Disk Management Tool and cannot continue. Please quit and relaunch Disk Utility.' Never seen this before."
There are two potential workarounds for this issue:
• Delete the "Chess" application and its associated .plist file (com.apple.Chess.plist, located in ~/Library/Preferences -- the Library folder inside your user directory) and attempt to re-run Disk Utility
• Delete iTunes 6.0.2 and its associated .plist file (com.apple.iTunes.plist, locaed in ~/Library/Preferences). Re-install iTunes 6.0.1 (from a backup, if available) and attempt to run Disk Utility again.
If you are still having issues, note that you can still startup from a different volume (or the Mac OS X installation disc) and repair permissions successfully on your normal startup volume.

========================================

Solution 2;
Disk Utility crash

The iTunes 6.0.2 update of 1/12/06 screwed up at least two files:

folder: your disk -> Library -> Receipts
files: iTunes.pkg, iTunes4.pkg

Other files from their-party plug-ins to iTunes may also be a problem.

Solution:

1) Archive these files so that Disk Utility can not see them anymore**. My solution was to put them into a StuffIt archive.

2) Delete these files

3) Run Disk Utility, Repair Permissions

4) Run Disk Utility, Repair Permissions again"

bobw said:
From MacFixIt
Unable to run Disk Utility after update Several users have reported that they are unable to properly run Disk Utility after applying the iTunes 6.0.2 update, receiving the error message:
"Disk Utility lost connection with Disk Management Tool and cannot continue."
part-way through the repair process.
The problem generally affects users running Mac OS X 10.3.9.
MacFixIt reader Philip Wheelock writes:
"I installed iTunes 6.0.2 via Software Update; restarted and found I could not repair disk permissions with Disk Utility, even starting from system installer disk. Disk Utility stalls approximately 1/3 of the way through and displays this error message: 'Disk Utility has lost its connection with the Disk Management Tool and cannot continue. Please quit and relaunch Disk Utility.' Never seen this before."
There are two potential workarounds for this issue:
• Delete the "Chess" application and its associated .plist file (com.apple.Chess.plist, located in ~/Library/Preferences -- the Library folder inside your user directory) and attempt to re-run Disk Utility
• Delete iTunes 6.0.2 and its associated .plist file (com.apple.iTunes.plist, locaed in ~/Library/Preferences). Re-install iTunes 6.0.1 (from a backup, if available) and attempt to run Disk Utility again.
If you are still having issues, note that you can still startup from a different volume (or the Mac OS X installation disc) and repair permissions successfully on your normal startup volume.

========================================

Solution 2;
Disk Utility crash

The iTunes 6.0.2 update of 1/12/06 screwed up at least two files:

folder: your disk -> Library -> Receipts
files: iTunes.pkg, iTunes4.pkg

Other files from their-party plug-ins to iTunes may also be a problem.

Solution:

1) Archive these files so that Disk Utility can not see them anymore**. My solution was to put them into a StuffIt archive.

2) Delete these files

3) Run Disk Utility, Repair Permissions

4) Run Disk Utility, Repair Permissions again"

Hi BobW,
does this apply to problem after update from iTunes 6.0.2. to 6.0.3.? I did not try to repair permissions after update to iTunes 6.0.2., so I have no idea if it is the 6.0.2. or 6.0.3. that is creating the problem for me. It happened that I am able to verfiy permissions using Onyx, and Disk Utility works when booted up from my HD. But when I tried repairing Permissions booting up from the OS Installation disc, the error happens. Disk Repair and Techtool found no problems.

Where can i get iTunes 6.0.1.? I don't have >iTunes4.pkg< in my receipts, instead it is >iTunesX.pkg<, is that to be removed as well?

Thanks.
gwentan

Remove any iTunes.pkg and try Repairing Permissions from the Hard Drive.

You don't have to downgrade iTunes to 6.0.1.

Thanks for the info. I tried deleting the Chess files...no luck. But archiving the iTunes.pkg files worked like a charm. thanks again!

You can also move the itunes application to the desktop, and then repair permissions. That's how I did it using 10.2.8.

Hello,
I made the upgrade of system and i have problem to start my Powerbook G4, but i did. So i open disk utility to verify disk. The message HFS volume needs to be repair.
Could you help me?

Do you have the software install disc that came with your computer? If so, put it in your CD drive and restart while holding down the c key. When it boots up go to disc utility from the file menu, highlight the disc that needs repair and click on repair disc.

I am trying to reformat an external Medea raided drive and zero all the data with disk utility, and am receiving the same error message. The drive seems to have a bad sector in it that was causing Final Cut pro to hang. A normal reformat seems to work fine, but when the disk fills up to a point where it hits that bad section, the machine hangs. I read that zeroing the drive with disk utility should map out bad sectors on the disk, but Disk Utility hangs halfway through the zeroing (presumably at the problem sector), and gives me the "Disk utility internal has lost its connection with disk management tool and cannot continu. Please quit and relaunch Disk Utility." error. I can't see how removing iTunes or Chess preferences will fix this as I am not running disk utility on the drive containing those applications. Any suggestions?

Back