Diskutil Does Not Recognize Hasp Hl 3.25 Usb

Sjoerd

Registered
Hey guys,

Been trying to deal with this myself but I am stuck and cannot find a similar problem described online.

I'm trying to read some data of an old HASP HL 3.25 usb-stick for my dad. However, at first the usb-stick was not recognized at all by my MacBook Air, meaning the indication light of the usb-stick did not even switch on.

Now I have downloaded Sentinel Runtime for Mac (https://safenet.gemalto.com/sentineldownloads/?s=&c=End+User&p=HASP+HL&o=Mac&t=all&l=all).

Now, when I plug in the usb-stick, the indication light of the stick switches on. However, when I run "diskutility list" in terminal the usb-stick isn't shown. Nor does it pop-up anywhere else.

I am unsure of how to tackle this problem. Hope you guys can help.

Thanks in advance!

Sjoerd

Isn't that HASP an unlocking key for an app - which you have to plug in before that software will run?
Do you know what software requires using your dongle?
If you believe that there are some important files on that dongle, then you may have better luck if you try on a Windows PC.

On a Mac, plug the dongle in, then look in System Information, USB tab, to see how that device is used by the USB bus. It may tell you what kind of device it is, and you might explain why it does not appear in Disk Utility.
For example, if it is not used as a storage device, then there is no reason for it to appear in Disk Utility.

Ah, how simple life can be..

After your comment I was confused. Due to my dad's comments that his files where on there I had simply assumed that indeed the files must be on the usb-stick. However, system information referred to the usb as "Aladdin Knowledge Systems" (as manufacturer-code), which led me here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin_Knowledge_Systems.

So I contacted my dad and indeed he always needed this usb-stick to have access to his files, leading him to assume the files must reside on that usb-stick.

But, most likely, given the gained insights, this usb-stick simply offered access to the software that actually handled the files (the files that probably resided on the local hard-disk of his old work-computer). So the files where never on the usb-stick to begin with.

Mystery solved I guess.

Thanks for your help!

Sjoerd

That's what I thought when I saw the name of your drive. All the links that I found just stated that key enables the license to use the software, so has to be inserted while running the software. It enables the software, and thus storage of files created by the app.
That makes sense. :D
The USB key is basically useless without the associated software.

Back