Diskwarrior repair questions

Zarembo

Contributing member
I have what seems to be all to often, the occassion to repair my OS X volume with Diskwarrior. When it completes its task, I'm messaged that I now have rescued files. When I look at those files they are named inodes.

Can anyone tell me what inodes are? What do they do? What should I do with them. I get the feeling that my system is now missing important files. My system seems to be degraded functionally. So often I do a complete reinstall of OS X to bring the system back to a full level of functionality. Any explanation by those with experience with this would be appreciated.

Maybe it's just me, but why do you occasionally use disk warrior ? Disk warrior is, i think, your last resort when your HD has crashed and your data has to be recovered. For maintanance just just norton disk doctor and speeddisk. I just think disk warrior isn't the right software to use often.

Thanks for your ringing endorsement of Norton. For your information, I use Norton when I think I need to use it.

Can you tell me what inodes are? That's my question.

I hate to burst anyone bubble, but DiskWarrior is the superior product. I challenge you to find anyone to prove otherwise. I've met the person who wrote the software, and he used to work for Apple. He also wrote code for the original Lisa.

DiskWarrior has a unique method of recreating directories. It scans the disk and then creates a new directory in RAM.

All other Disk Utilities take the directories on the drives. It compares them and then creates patches to try to fix them. These utilities rely on code to fix known problems and overwrite the directories on the drive. They can only patch problems that are programmed in.

The other problem is that all other utilities can sometimes produce irrepairable damage if it is not compatible with the latest software. Since it actually overwrites the directories on the disk, if something goes wrong in the process, you're hosed.

DiskWarriors approach is totally different. Instead of creating patches and modifying existing directories , it build sa new prestine directory in RAM and allows you to try out the new one or revert to the old. DiskWarrior will never trash you data like the other repair utilities.

What is an inode? I have no idea. If you really want to know, ask the folks at DiskWarrior. Hope the info helps.

Vulcan

Thanks for your response. I have written Alsoft and have yet to see a response....

FYI, I use Diskwarrior first and then check it with Norton to check for issues that Diskwarrior might not cover.

Keep in mind, Norton uses patches to repair on the drive itself. Once it makes a change, it is final.

DiskWarrior doesn't worry about the number of files in a directory since it approach is different. Norton might find number differences in the b-trees and such but they don't really matter. The folks at Alsoft will tell you the same.

Hope this info helps.

Vulcan

...special files in a UNIX environment that store data used by the filesystem, such as owner/group menbership and permissions. Each inode is represented by an index number. There is a finite number of inodes created when a filesystems is created and therefore a finite number of files in such a system. You can find out a files inode number by using the command "ls -i" view the data stored in the inode by using "ls -l" also called a long listing.

Back