Disney buys Pixar

whitesaint

cocoa love
I'm sorry if this is not the proper forum for this, if not, can a mod move it? But I guess it will be annouced tomorrow that Disney has bought Pixar for $7 billion, and Steve Jobs will be on the Disney board, as well as the largest Disney shareholder. More info here... telegraph.co.uk Hopefully this means Steve Jobs will have more time for Apple

I think it won't mean he'll have _more_ time for Apple, but it hasn't been such a problem before, really... I didn't much have the feeling that the iPod and the Mac were neglected by Steve Jobs. ;)

But I wonder if Disney buying Pixar is such a good move for _Pixar_. Disney hasn't really done any good films in the past few years (besides what Pixar's done, of course), so it looks to me like they'd want to suck the blood out of Pixar to "renew" Disney...

Let the "Disney to buy out Apple" rumor rise from the grave once again!! Mwahahahaha! *cough* :eek:

I'm very surprised by this. I thought Pixar was trying to pull away from Disney. Then again, their whole relationship has confused me for a long time. It seemed like Pixar needed Disney a lot more than Disney needed Pixar, despite the fact that Pixar seemed to have 99% of the talent. I mean, let's face it, Disney could smear animal droppings on a film reel and it would make them billions. They'd just roll out their Turdley™ toys to include in McDonalds Happy Meals, fire up the marketing machine, and kids the world over wouldn't know the difference.

Pixar, on the other hand, could....uhh....well....even if they cranked out great movies, they'd have a harder time being successful without Disney's marketing might.

I wonder if this is what Pixar wanted all along when they began distancing themselves from Disney.

Eek... I, personally, am worried. Lately, everything Disney touches turns to suck, except for the Pixar movies. And releasing all those sequels direct-to-video (such as Lion King 2 and a half, Bambi II), are only making Disney suck even more.

Granted, ABC seems to be doing just fine... but Disney's animated ventures... :p

If anything, it seems Pixar will pull Disney out of the toilet... as long as Pixar is allowed to run the way it has always run.

Pray for Pixar.

Mikuro said:
Let the "Disney to buy out Apple" rumor rise from the grave once again!! Mwahahahaha! *cough* :eek:

I'm very surprised by this. I thought Pixar was trying to pull away from Disney. Then again, their whole relationship has confused me for a long time. It seemed like Pixar needed Disney a lot more than Disney needed Pixar, despite the fact that Pixar seemed to have 99% of the talent. I mean, let's face it, Disney could smear animal droppings on a film reel and it would make them billions. They'd just roll out their Turdley™ toys to include in McDonalds Happy Meals, fire up the marketing machine, and kids the world over wouldn't know the difference.

Pixar, on the other hand, could....uhh....well....even if they cranked out great movies, they'd have a harder time being successful without Disney's marketing might.

I wonder if this is what Pixar wanted all along when they began distancing themselves from Disney.

Eisner the old CEO of Disney treated Pixar and Co, terribly they had them in a horrible contract that Pixar wanted to get out of. But seein that Eisner was replaced (thank god, destroyed Disney) i think Pixar will probably stay with Disney if they're not bought buy them

Are we forgetting that Disney owns ABC/ESPN and a alot of other companies? Disney is the largest entertainment company in the world afterall. I went to MGM studios in late november 2005 and had a blast i wish i could go back there again. Not only that but i wish i could visit some of their other theme parks, animal kingdom, epcot, etc, all in florida. I prolly look pretty gay but i have some recent pictures from MGM studios with me and muh dad...this is when we just entered the park... http://www.osxserver.net/rogerandpops.jpg http://www.osxserver.net/rogerandpops2.jpg.. we didnt get home til 12 hours later, we had a blast. They had 4 million christmas lights too in one part of the theme park, walt disnery has like 5 different parks in florida alone, and im sure they are bankin, i kno i would be...

But I wonder if Disney buying Pixar is such a good move for _Pixar_. Disney hasn't really done any good films in the past few years (besides what Pixar's done, of course), so it looks to me like they'd want to suck the blood out of Pixar to "renew" Disney...

Since Pixar's contract to distribute through Disney had just expired, Pixar were planning to strike out on their own and Disney had tried to setup their own CG animation studios to compete with Pixar.

This would have been a very bad situation for both companies: Disney would need at least 5 years to catch up to Pixar's technology and production capabilities, and Pixar would be up against a corporation with an unbeatable worldwide distribution channel and virutally unlimited funds for promotion of movies.

I think with Pixar becoming a part of Disney, they should continue to operate in much the same way that they have during the last few years of production. I just hope the Pixar culture and way of working continues to thrive.

As for Steve being on the board at Disney, this could really bring media into the Internet age and is a very exciting prospect.

wikipedia said:
[Disney's] Media Networks unit is centered around the American Broadcasting Company (ABC) television network, which it acquired through a merger with Capital Cities/ABC in 1996. Disney also owns a group of cable networks including The Disney Channel, ABC Family, Toon Disney, the ESPN group and SOAPnet. Disney also holds substantial interest in Lifetime (50%), A&E (37.5%), and E! (40%).

Through ABC, Disney also owns 10 local television stations, 26 local radio stations, and ESPN Radio, Radio Disney, and the ABC Radio, which carries such radio personalities as Sean Hannity and Paul Harvey and distributes news bulletins by ABC News. Buena Vista Television, which also is a part of the Media Networks unit, produces such syndicated television programs as Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, Live with Regis and Kelly, and Ebert & Roeper.

Back