Display completely black

Droovy

Registered
Specs: I have an IMAC G5 Power PC. The display is 20 inches and the processor speed is 2.0Ghz. I have 512 megs of RAM and 250 Gigs of hard drive space. I purchased the computer in the summer of 2005 and until now, it has worked like a gem.

Problem: My display does not show any picture or color. My wife told me she saw infared-like colors while using the computer and then it went completely black. I booted the computer in transfer mode and used my lap top to transfer all the files off the computer.

I then followed the troubleshooting procedures on the webpage http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2094. All the LED lights come on and I do not see any dim light when I examine my computer at an angle.

After the screen went blank, I purchased the VGA adapter cable and plugged in an external monitor to the computer, but I didn't get any picture on the external monitor, probably because the adapter mirrors what is on my screen. I had hoped I could completely transfer the picture to the external monitor, like you can do with a laptop, but I couldn't figure out how to do this.

Questions: What is wrong with my computer? Is is possible for me to use an external monitor even when the computer display doesn't display any picture? If so, how can I do this?

Thanks for the help.

Droovy

If its not showing eternal video its usually nothing to do with the display. Unless its an iMac G5 isight its a good possibility it has blown capacitors on the logic board. If the white LED light stays solid it means that video is not being transferred to the display from the logic board. Either way, most likely culprit is bad RAM or a blown GPU on the logic board. You can try to zap PRAM or reset the PMU to see if it makes a difference.

Back