Display resolution/refresh rate Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebaz

Registered
I been using my 12 in powerbook for some time now w/Jaguar, and I have noticed some issues when it comes to "close-lid" operation mode, and my CRT monitor. Im wondering if this issue has been solved in Panther, or not. The issue is as follow:

-The powerbook comes with 32mb of VRAM. My monitor a Sony Multiscan G410 with an optimal resolution is 1600 x 1200 @ 85Hz. When using monitor spanning the highest refresh rate i can get is 75Hz, this is understandable due to the fact that the VRAM of the video card gets divided for each display (16 and 16). However, i find very dissapointing that in close-lid mode im still unable to obtain the optimal refresh rate, leaving me with the only option of 1600 x 1200 @ 75Hz. Theres another resolution available 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz, but thats of no matter, but it shows that it has the VRAM of pudhing yet anuther resolution. If 1600 x 1200 would be my "max" resolution, i would understand that the video card is at its limit. At the current state, i believe the video card can do 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz, at least in "close-lid" mode.

After some research i found that in previous versions of X u could overwrite the refresh rate, has this been brought back in panther? Or have they enable higher refresh rates for video cards? I dont see why Apple will impose a limit on the refresh rate that one can choose, when the video card is more than able to do it, at least with one monitor running.

Thanx guys,
sebaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back