display size?

wdw_

Rockee
I notice that every time that I buy a new computer or hit the "Factory Defaults" button in the system preferences I have to resize it to take up the maximum space on the screen. Why doesn't Apple just make the default size take up the maximum space on the screen? And I notice that whenever I resize it horizontally and vertically I have to rotate it just a bit, but I never get it perfect. I just think it's too much work. I also have noticed that wheneverI restart the computer the screen is never the size I set it to and I have to keep resizing it.

But, without any details of what TYPE of monitors you're talking about, or what you're using to resize them, or how they are connected, it is very difficult to help.

Originally posted by plaidpjs
But, without any details of what TYPE of monitors you're talking about, or what you're using to resize them, or how they are connected, it is very difficult to help.
I have an iMac DV SE, the screen is built in. I resize the window through the system preferences.

I got the impression from your first post you were talking about an external monitor as your first line reads "every time I buy a new computer...."

Originally posted by plaidpjs
I got the impression from your first post you were talking about an external monitor as your first line reads "every time I buy a new computer...."
nope sorry. I've just had a coule of iMacs and I've just always noticed this.

Because you're not supposed to stretch your screen like that. If you don't maintain that margin you lose sharpness and convergence. My AppleVision monitor has a 3/4" margin all the way around as do most of my monitors.

It may not matter if you're playing games, but it does when reading text or authoring graphics.

I was under the impression that modern monitors used the gun(s) to get all of the sizing correct, and that not much was asked of the display surface anymore so that multiple resolutions could be properly accomodated by a single screen ... the multiscan revolution.

I'm a big trinitron fan myself, and I have not noticed any degradation of overall quality when stretching the display to fit the screen. It's bad enough that a 15" monitor is really 14" but if you leave the gap, it becomes a 13" monitor. Admittedly if you make your screen larger you lose some DPI, but the point is that you have the same number of points, larger, and of proportional clarity to how they were when they were smaller.

I thought Apple was simply leaving the default a little small because ... they buy Sony Trinitron tubes and that's how you set them by default to make sure you can see the whole screen. Buy any monitor, that's just the way they come. If you have to readjust your monitor everytime you reboot however, your monitor isn't remembering things correctly. That could be a warranty kind of issue.

All things being equal, I'm looking forward to abandoning CRT's in general and moving toward a true digital display. ... or better yet, an infinite resolution display done by spinning lasers, along with smoke, magic, and a small piece of David Copperfield in my monitor.

If only all flat screen displays didn't suck ass...

Apple's best monitors were still their ColorSync series, much better color accuracy than their 22" flatscreen.

indeed, flat screen technology still has a tenddency to apply a pressure < 1 atmosphere upon one's bunghole. :)

Back