Display sleep, awakens unexpectantly

Urbansory

The Definition of...
Has anyone else experienced this? Lately my system has started waking from display sleep, and it crashed last night. i have no usb connection but my mouse and keyboard and no firewire connections. I did have a flash file open in Safari. And i just rebooted the system after that crash last night, and there really isn't any apps open but.. M-Beat, MaxMenus, Safari, Entourage and Font Reserve. Last night I was working so all my design apps were open as well as a test page in Safari of a new revision to my site.

This has occurred before but i don't recall having an open window in Safari, bit I'm sure it was open, as were all the other apps mentioned, since I launch those first, basically my base apps that stay open.

Sometimes it wakes up, then it will go back to sleep. I was nowhere near it to bump it, I was laying on my bed when I once again watched it awaken. This was a big problem in 10.1 and caused many kernel panics, so something is still there. Yes i ran all the normal checks.

What kind of input devices do you have? I have a Starlogic mouse on my iMac which wakes the computer up when I move it (yes, it is an unusual behavior). I have found that either putting the mouse in the wrong place when I sleep the iMac or playing my drums loudly enough is sufficient to make the mouse vibrate, waking the computer. Sometimes, I put the mouse on its side so the optical sensor won't become activated.

Does any of this help?

I have nothing but the Apple mouse and keyboard plugged in. It doesn't do it all the time, thats the strange thing, well i wouldn't know anyway, since it will wake up, then go back to sleep. So i can leave for hours, some times it's on, most of the time it is off. This is driving me crazy. No vibration, I wasn't near it for it to wake up and it's on a flat surface where the mouse can't budge, even if i bumped the desk.

This tends to be a sign of trouble to come, so I've been preparing my storage partitions for DVD archives, better safe than sorry.

Well, OS 9 has settings to make the computer start up, shut down, awaken, or fall asleep. OS X doesn't have these, right? So it's not that...

Hmm, I really don't know what's going on.

you know what... I wonder if the jpegs i use for the transitional image screensaver can cause this? Also, the system hung on the gray apple screen after restart when the system had the kernel panic yesterday. I guess it sat there for about a minute, then proceeded to the login screen, so I assume it was trying to fix something.

I had this same problem. I tried everything from disconnecting all my USB and Firewire devices, and the network. The thing that finally worked was turning off my screen-saver. (I was using the saver from A&F) I found that setting display sleep after the saver started made things work fine again.

My eMac wakes from sleep if there is a power unbalance. like when i disconnect the VCR by pulling the plug (they are connected to the same hole in the wall). I think that my neighbours may be responsible sometimes also.

hmmm, I can see a power flow/ static on the monitor when i turn on my tv, but that doesn't wake my computer when in display sleep.

So try a different screen savor. I personally have, um, I think it's Xatrox or something... it looks like the Matrix (as in the code that composes it). No transitions or anything. It's not particularly interesting looking, but it's cool because it looks like you're looking at the Matrix.

Well i'm starting to think it's something else, because i had another crash after hours of work. I booted the norton disck and my main storage partition was missing, ran Disk Doctor it reappeared. now... this is not where any system items are stored... so not sure why the system bombed. It did find a node error in the X partition, which was repaired, so see how long this holds, i plan to wipe my partitions soon anyway, about time to start clean.

Ok, i was on the other side of my room, and it happened again. This is really becoming a pain, and this occurred about 15 minutes after the display entered sleep.

hmmm, i found this

2003-07-29 16:22:01.458 ScreenSaverEngine[599] expanding file buffer
2003-07-29 16:22:11.577 ScreenSaverEngine[599] expanding file buffer
2003-07-29 17:00:05.162 ScreenSaverEngine[604] expanding file buffer
2003-07-29 17:00:15.258 ScreenSaverEngine[604] expanding file buffer
2003-07-29 17:00:35.413 ScreenSaverEngine[604] expanding file buffer
2003-07-29 17:03:36.642 ScreenSaverEngine[606] expanding file buffer
2003-07-29 17:03:49.648 ScreenSaverEngine[606] expanding file buffer
2003-07-29 17:03:59.645 ScreenSaverEngine[606] expanding file buffer
2003-07-29 17:04:59.946 ScreenSaverEngine[606] expanding file buffer
Jul 29 19:24:10 SENSORY WindowServer[176]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0xf5af for over 1.000000 seconds

This repeated a few times as well...

ul 29 02:06:13 SENSORY /Applications/Microsoft Office X/Microsoft Entourage: *** Warning: ATSUMeasureText has been deprecated. Use ATSUGetUnjustifiedBounds instead. ***

Jul 29 14:15:42 SENSORY /Applications/Microsoft Office X/Microsoft Entourage: *** Warning: Line option kATSLineIsDisplayOnly has been deprecated. ***

Back