Display "sleep" = display dim in 10.1.5?

Gwailo

B.A. Economics (Hon)
I noticed that my display now dims instead of going black in 10.1.5 (iMac TFT).

Is there any way to change this? I like to leave my computer running for Folding@home and downloads and stuff, but my iMac's in my room and far too bright to leave on all night. It appears that the only alternative is to sleep the machine, which kind of defeats my goal.

Any thoughts?

When I put mine to sleep it does it just fine, i'm on a 667 powerbook. Have you tried restarting or changing your sleep settings? (Perhaps they were messed up and need to be "recalibrated" -Just a random guess)

He's talking about display sleep, not computer sleep. You set this in the Energy Saver control panel.

On my cube, it's still a complete display sleep; it goes completely dark.

Ok well it appears as though Apple has implemented a two-staged sleep, and as far as I can determine this only applies to the iMac TFT (perhaps other flat-panel displays as well).

The screen dims, as would an iBook's when the battery is low. When the system is triggered (i.e., mouse mouvement) the display snaps back to full brightness.

However, I just came back from a long walk to find my display black. It would appear as though it does both. I'm not sure how the timing works just yet though--whether it dims at the slider time, or blacks out at the slider time.

I hAd read your post earlier and tested it, but mine went black. However when I was downloading the trials for the Macromedia MX family i noticed it doing this. Maybe when your downloading something? I don't know.

I don't have enough informaiton to validate this supposition, but I had my display set to sleep after 5 minutes, and the display dimmed after 2:30 exactly. Perhals is half the sleep time?

For some reason when I moved the slider above 5 minutes I don't get the dim.

Anyways it looks cool, I'm a eco-consience so I'm glad it saves power :)

Back