display sleep questions

mweier

Pixel Farmer
Two quick questions with regards to controlling monitors.

1.) G5 w/ 23" Cinema Display... How can i manually tell the display to go to sleep? I've heard some people say that their Display panel has an Options tab which lets them define what happens when hitting the power button on the cinema display. My control panel (10.4.6) only lets me disable the power button and/or the display prefs (brightness) button on the cinema display. It gives no way to customize their function.

THe only way I can see to put only the display (not the computer) to sleep is via the energy saver timer. But that's sorta dumb if that's the only option.

Is anyone aware of anything special required to re-define the power button on the cinema display to tell the monitor to sleep (but leave the computer running)?

2.) iBook G3 600 connected via a/v port to a TV. Is there any way to put the iBook display to sleep while still sending signal to the TV? Closing the iBook seems to put it to sleep. Is there a way to have closing the iBook reconfigured to sleep display on the iBook LCD but continue sending signal to the TV?

I like the fancy-pants apple features - the pulsating glows are neat. However it seems that these fairly basic power features should be somehow included. Far cheaper monitors have the ability via monitor power buttons.

Thanks!

Back