Displaying Photos From Memory Stick With Resource Forks From Mac

slinke

When I take new photos with my Sony digital camera, I can insert the Memory Stick into my Sony TV and view the photos as a slideshow. However, if I connect the camera to my Mac OS 10.3.9 computer, and then drag previously taken photos into the appropriate folder on the Memory Stick, and then plug the Memory Stick into the TV, I get a bunch of extra files that start with "._".

It is my understanding that these files are resource fork files created by my Mac. I want to create slideshows of different sets of previously taken photos, but these resource fork files interrupt the slideshow with a bunch of "?" screens. This is very annoying!

I tried to use FinderCleaner to purge the Memory Stick of such files, and then removing the Memory Stick from the camera without formally ejecting them from the Finder. However, some of the pictures don't appear and sometimes the "._" files still seem to be there. Strangely, when I use utilities like FileBuddy or Terminal to examine the contents of the Memory Stick, these "._" don't even appear.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? I thought the Mac was supposed to be a digital hub, but it screws up this seemingly simple process.

I was able to fix my problem with WinFSCleanser. I'm still not sure why FinderCleaner did not work, although there seems to be a bug in the current version that prevents a clean ejection of the volume. I'm also still not sure why FileBuddy could not see the resource fork files.

Back