dissapearing files on NT4 server

sebas

Dutch member
I've upgraded to OSX 10.2 and now i can not copy or open any files from the Windows NT 4 server.
When i click on a file, it just dissapears.
when i look with other computers running OS 9, the files are still there.
But OSX 10.2 only sees them when i disconnect and then re-connect to the server and the trouble begins again.
i had trouble to copy OS-9 files with OSX 10.1.5 but this is new.

does anybody know an answer?????

Originally posted by sebas
I've upgraded to OSX 10.2 and now i can not copy or open any files from the Windows NT 4 server.
When i click on a file, it just dissapears.
when i look with other computers running OS 9, the files are still there.
But OSX 10.2 only sees them when i disconnect and then re-connect to the server and the trouble begins again.
i had trouble to copy OS-9 files with OSX 10.1.5 but this is new.

does anybody know an answer?????

Hi,
Just upgraded a number of workstations to G4's (Quicksilver with OSX) - and now I am experiencing the same problems as you describe.
Someone told me that www.macwindows.com had a number of reports regarding different service packs to the NT etc. etc. - but so far I have not been able to find anything that works.
I have asked the SysAdm on the site to go over his NT installation once more to see if he has the most recent build/service pack etc. etc.
Expect to know more at the end of next week.
What are your installation running in terms of NT - meaning what kind of AppleSharing system? A 'native' or a thrid-party software - and what version of NT are you using?

Kind regards

John Philip

Don't worry you are not alone. I have been having this problem for a long time(since OSX 10.1) with any Sun server running UShare for file sharing. The files just dissapears. The problem seems to be the way the servers manage the resource fork.

..as the files appear with 'assorted' icons on the desktop.
F. inst. if MS-word files, some (a very few) will show up as correct MS-word icons, some shows up as square, grey frame, dot-lined and with rounded corners.
All the 'correct ones open, the incorrect are 'irratical' in behaviour but usually vanishes if touched.
Attempts to dump a whole folder with the files to the dekstop, releases an error -128 and then nothing..
(The word files are produced by several authors and are probably from assorted vaersions and platforms).
Other kind of files are similar in behaviour.

Kind regards
John Philip

Mac OS 10.2: Files are displayed ghosted and disappear when I click on them
Please upgrade to build number 8.00.02.148 or higher of MacServerIP

I've not tried it yet, but i might work.
We have MacServerIP running on our NT4 server.
I'm not sure what version though

Will try that - in any case it is a valuable piece of info, when I have ot discuss it with the in-house IT people

Thanx again

John Philip

Back