Dividing a large file on two CDs

pds

Registered
I have to move a large file (1.5 gig) from my Mac to a PC in another building. There is no LAN connection and unfortunately no internet either. I don't have an external HD - and would like to go a cheaper route than buying one at the moment.

Is there a program that would allow me to divide the file onto multiple CDs and reassemble it on the PC end?

I tried macupdate and version tracker, but maybe used the wrong terms.

Thanks for the quick reply, Bob.

It's a little expensive though. For 80 clams I can get an external drive. Anyone know of a cheaper route?

pds said:
I have to move a large file (1.5 gig) from my Mac to a PC in another building. There is no LAN connection and unfortunately no internet either. I don't have an external HD - and would like to go a cheaper route than buying one at the moment.

Is there a program that would allow me to divide the file onto multiple CDs and reassemble it on the PC end?

I tried macupdate and version tracker, but maybe used the wrong terms.

If you are willing to use the Unix shell there is the "split" command which does just that - it splits a file into arbitrary sized segments that can then be put together with "cat". Cf. the man pages via "man split" and "man cat", in the shell.

That should do it - thanks.

I'll boot the PC with ubuntu on a cd to concatenate. Thanks again

Inverter said:
If you are willing to use the Unix shell there is the "split" command which does just that - it splits a file into arbitrary sized segments that can then be put together with "cat". Cf. the man pages via "man split" and "man cat", in the shell.
Like bobw my first thought was StuffIt, since that has been the answer to this question as long as I've been using Macs.

But I have to say, I really like the unix spit --> cat solution... I just love these things hidden in our "all powerful" OS.

Seems like it would be trivial for someone to make a Splitter app that's simply a GUI on top of split and cat.

:->

Keep in mind that (I think) split and cat will not respect resource forks. I guess that's probably not a problem since you're moving it to a PC anyway, but just so you know. If you need to retain a resource fork, you should archive it first, then split the archive.

Back