DivX codec from DivX.com

The Madhatter

Registered
DivX.com released a codec for Mac users (both OS 9 and X). They are the ones who developed The Playa software which if you haven't used it, is real great (you can do cool things like make the movies be the desktop). I installed the file they said to put in the Library/Quicktime folder and rebooted. When I tried watching the movies it had the exact same result as the ffmpeg.component that was released a while ago from divx.jamby.net. The video plays fine, but there is no sound. Is this new release from DivX.com just basically the same as the one from divx.jamby.net?
If you don't have it go get the codec, install it, and see what happens. Anyone else have the same results I did?

It is not the EXACT same codec, but it achieves the exact same results.

The problem with DiVX on the Mac is the movie files that have the audio encoded in the WMA format, which is barely supported on the mac.

Perhaps with the recent release of WMP for X(via Office v.x) some headway will be made in this sector.

It is sad however, that jamby accomplished light years ago what the original authors took a year to do.

FaRuvius

Back