.dmg files are being saved as .exe

alfredochile

Registered
Hi!

When I download and save files on my desktop that are made for MAC these are saved as .exe making it impossible to install (.dmg files become .exe!). How can I fix this?

Thanks
Alfredo

I am having this same problem too. I'm using firefox to surf the web and when i want to download a .dmg file it is save to my desktop with a alphanumeric file name, an .exe file extension and a Quicktime file icon. If i double click the icon Quicktime attempts to open the file.

For instance I tried to download Internet Explorer 5 for mac today. The box popped up asking me if i'd like to save IE_5.dmg, i clicked yes and on my desktop was a file named Kdhj23k.exe with a Quicktime icon.

My mac is a 2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo running MAC OSX 10.4.11
I have an older laptop G3 and it does not have this problem.

Please can someone help! Any suggestion would be appreciated!

When I download and save files on my desktop that are made for MAC these are saved as .exe making it impossible to install ...
It's not impossible. All you have to do is to change the extension from .exe to .dmg. Also, be sure to use File>Get Info... to associate .dmg with DiskImageMounter.

it's just firefox that give me the wacky downloads. When i use my Safari .dmg files download perfectly. Do i need to update firefox? I'm running on version 2.0.0.14

Wouldn't hurt .... here ya go ...

If you jus' click on the .exe file, jus' to highlight it ... does anything happen ... I read somewhere that someone had the exact same problem as you and that's what they did ... still isn't right tho'.

The same things (.dmg files magically turned into .exe files) were happening to me and when I tried using Safari to download with the issue resolved itself. So the problem seems to be a bug in the Mac version of FIREFOX.

I've only noticed this on Firefox running on older Mac OS X versions like 10.2 or 10.3. I'm running 10.4.11 with Firefox 3.0 on my iMac G5 and I haven't seen this.

Slightly different question, but on the same theme. Does anyone know where I can get an upgrade for IE for Mac OSX. I have IE 5.2 but it shows errors in opening sites made with iWeb and won't show the images properly. The sites view perfectly in Safari and Firefox, just a problem with IE. I want to test if it still has errors with a later version of Internet Explorer but Microsoft's download site doesn't offer a Mac version for IE 6 or 7. Can anyone help. thanks!

Slightly different question, but on the same theme. Does anyone know where I can get an upgrade for IE for Mac OSX. I have IE 5.2 but it shows errors in opening sites made with iWeb and won't show the images properly. The sites view perfectly in Safari and Firefox, just a problem with IE. I want to test if it still has errors with a later version of Internet Explorer but Microsoft's download site doesn't offer a Mac version for IE 6 or 7. Can anyone help. thanks!

IE 5.2.x was the last version of IE that Microsoft made available for the Mac. Microsoft is recommending that Mac users use Safari instead (although you could conceivably use Firefox if you prefer that, but they won't point you to their biggest competitor ;)).

... Does anyone know where I can get an upgrade for IE for Mac OSX. I have IE 5.2 but it shows errors in opening sites made with iWeb and won't show the images properly. ...
Microsoft did not develop IE:mac beyond IE 5.2.3. If Safari and Firefox work perfectly, then what is it about perfection that you find so objectionable?

Thanks MisterMe ... for the witty reply. I actually love and always use Safari but a site I've built in iWeb for a client is showing problems on her PC so I viewed it in Explorer to check the problem and sure enough it won't load. However my husband's PC with IE version 7 views it fine. Trouble is I couldn't find a more recent version than 5.2 to upgrade onto my Mac. Seems there's a glitch in the scripting in iWeb that some pics won't load particularly on pages with slideshow options. I'm not a programmer so don't know how to fix it. Its a pity because as a graphic designer iWeb is a dream come true ... so easy to use and incredibly quick.

I think you have to forget the older versions for IE (and any other older browser). These issues always exist, when building sites, using the latest technology (unless iweb allows you to specify a level of technology).

Good luck, Kees

Thanks for that Kees ... so do web developers just ignore an issue such as this and if the user doesn't have up to date browser software that's their problem? Maureen

Some do. Unfortunately.

Crossover (application) could be able to bring only IE6 r IE7 on OS X, as having Boot Camp, Fusion, or Parallels only for a browser for a site or two seems a bit overkill.

I recommend sending feedback any time you come to sites designed to poorly. Browser racists.. even in Windows side, I don't know anyone whose primary choice of browser would be IE (well, working in IT but still).

Back