.dmg files!??! help!!!!!

Joseph Spiros

Software Engineer
Okay, so this is sorta a classic mac os 9 question too, but it relates to a file that as I know only works in OS X...

So, I have this dmg file, and I want to burn it to CD. I am on MacOS 9.1 (and a G4 733), with Toast 5 Titanium and Disk Copy 6.3.3. When I tried mounting the image from within Disk Copy, It wouldnt mount. I also tried dragging and dropping (both to the icon and to the window), and to no avail. Then I tried Toast. It said it couldnt identify the type of image, and wanted me to type in a bunch of information... and when I burned, it didnt work either...

Help!

just exactly what file is this and what was the original source of the dmg - did you create it or download it? are you trying to do this with dmg opened? what version of toast are you using? 5.1 is out now. and why are you trying to burn from 9 rather than osx?

other than issues around the questions i have asked, the other thing might be you are dealing with copyprotected material.

The DMG is the Mac OS 10.1 update CD a friend made for me, and as I dont have a mac with CD-RW drive, I cant burn it at home, but at the college's lab (which has G4's with DVD-rs but no Mac OS X), but as I said, I cant burn.

Can't you just borrow the update CD from your friend?
Or have your friend make a Toast image of it?

Better yet, why don't you pick up a free CD yourself? You mentioned using a University computer. Surely the campus book store has a computer section. I'm pretty sure the 10.1 update CD's are still free, but I suppose it may be difficult finding one this late after its release.

they dont have anymore :( and my friend is an online friend, he lives in texas (and i in ohio). i looked earlier if someone still had a server up with 10.1 update ( i remember people here put up a bunch of servers..), and couldnt find any, and now my friend sends me this, and i cant use it. He doesnt have toast.

Well, then you're SOL unless you can find someone to give you a Toast image or you are are willing to shell out $20 to Apple.

1st - if i have a little time later, i will try replicating the problem and see what i can come up with. i guess i would like your assurance that you do own osx already before i go thru this trouble. that you bought it and aren't using a "borrowed" copy.

2nd - do you go to school at oberlin? it is such a beautiful school. i really liked it the few times i was there. good quality school from what i have heard.

1st - It's a Power Mac 733mhz pre quicksilver, and those came with OS 10 CDs.

2nd - No, but I probally will next year.. I'm a high school student, and my mom works there, so I can start taking classes for credit... Yeah, it is beautiful :) Moved here 4 years ago cant think of ever leaving.

ok, i'll try to get to it. right now i am getting ready to call my 12 yo son who lives in columbus. i lived there for 15 years. i miss my son a lot but i don't miss the snow!!:p (he visits me 3 times a year and i go back there for a week or three each summer)

In OSX this is a piece of cake, but in OS9, you need to use Disk Copy 6.4 or 6.5b (both of which are not readily available) to convert the image to "whatever.cdr", .cdr is a generic disk image which Toast can recognize. Once you have it converted, just drag it into the Toast window (set to disk image) and burn...DO NOT MOUNT.

hehehe, level9, i beat ya to it... right after I did my last response i had already known I would need a newer version of Disk Copy, so I went off in search of 6.4, and low and behold, there it was in the public folder of ed010's (is that his name... i forget... hehe) iDisk... well i got that, and then i went to mount it (but i had locked the file so all is good), and i got this:

http://www.josephspiros.com/dmghelp.gif

I get the same exact error number and text when trying to convert the image to a cd-r master... :( only diff of course is it doesnt say "mount" but instead "convert" (in the dialog) :(

still haven't made time to try and replicate for you, sorry. but i did run across this utility that perhaps will allow you to convert to a usable format that 9 will be able to burn.

there is always the chance that your friend's dmg is corupted in which case all these things will be useless.

Joseph: try downloading from a reputable bot. :D

There was one disk image making the rounds that was corrupt, this might be it.

Well, It's okay now, because the friend that sent me the DMG is gonna make me a Toast image file... so all is good :) thanks for your help everyone :) :D

Back