.dmg files... what are those?

Harvey

Registered
I downloaded this...

file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/beasleyharvey/Desktop/MP3bar_04.dmg

MP3 Bar. A simple mp3 player. HOwever, what is a .dmg file? I have seen them before, but usually whatever install script was running got me through it without any hassle.

Is this something that needs to be mounted? Sorry for my ignrance, new to Mac :)

Thanks,

Harvey

Yes, a .dmg is a disk image. Just double click on it and it will mount in the Finder as another volume. Once you do whatever you need with it, as in copying an app out of it, you can eject it.

That's what I thought....

when I double click this it asks me what program I want to open it with.

When I check 'get info' it tells me the File Type is a text file.

I have other .dmg files and they say disk image as they should. Also, the icon on this 'broken' disk image is different as well.

How can I tell the OS to open this file as a diskimage? The extension says .dmg as normal.

Thanks again

The DMG file may be corrupted, meaning that there is information missing from the file, or the file type may just be wrong. You could try opening Disk Copy in /Applications/Utilities/ then dragging the corrupted DMG file onto Disk Copy's main window. If that doesn't work, the file may just be corrupted. Try to download the file off the internet a second time. If that doesn't solve the problem, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy.

Deleting a mounted DMG is a two step process. You have to eject the mounted volume (cmd E) and delete the .dmg file. Its a pain.

Is it me or do other people instinctually pronounce .dmg as "a dot damage file".

Disk images really confused me at first when I started using Macs.

I saw Disk Copy working, but I didn't notice the virtual volume appearing on the desktop.

Oh, well. I'm all better now.

Doug

I say dot d, m, g....

You might want to try and get info. Then under extensions take off the .txt

It will ask you if you want to proceed. Say yes. They try to open it with disk copy...

Worked more than once for me.

Matthew

Back