.dmg Problems

Mithy

Registered
Unable to mount .dmg files
Alright, this problem seems to have started when I downloaded the 10.3.2 update.
Whenever I try to open a .dmg, it shows the opening flash, but then nothing happens.
Also, whenever I try to unstuff a .sit file (With Stuffit 8.2), it will unstuff fine but then it will give me this message:
"An error has occured attempting to mount a disk image '22'
Error #22"

Same message, every time, no matter what the filename.

Anyone have a possible solution to this? Or do you need more information?

Setup a new account and see, if the problem appears there as well. Also repair permissions using the panther DVD
And welcome to the forum! :)

Alright, I'll try that, zammy... but what's the Panther DVD?

And no, I can't mount files with Disk Utility

Panther DVD or Panther Installation Disk 1. Depending on whether you've got Panther with a new machine or separately...

Try using Disk Utility. Open that, drag the disk img to the window on the left with the list of drives, then click on the First Aid Tab and see if it can repair it.

bobw, I believe that is the problem. He cannot even get the disk image to mount on his desktop...

Go to your crash log file located in /your_username/Library/Logs/CrashReporter and tell me what that brings up.

.dmgs are set to open with DiskImageMounter
Disk Utility First Aid didn't work

I can't even mount the disk image.

What browser are you using?
Are you using any download manager?

Give us the URL of one of the downloads you're having a problem with.

So I guess: Try to get rid of EVERYTHING related to StuffIt (any version of Expander, everything in all Application Support folders etc.) and reinstall _just_ the newest version of Expander you can find. (Download that one before removing everything else.)

If after removing all of Stuffit and reinstalling, I would either stick with version 7.x or 8.0. I had 8.0.2 on one of my machines and it was causing problems. Went back to 8.0 and it works fine.

All this just to open a .dmg...

Well, I discovered a few more things not working like they should, so I went and did a clean restore, which screwed up my computer even more as I did the clean restore from the Jaguar, not the Panther disk :confused:
Things were working sort of okay when I was back in Jaguar, but I couldn't connect to the Airport and I couldn't log into my account... the password was changed somehow.

Anyway, about 2 hours ago I got mysef re-upgraded to Panther and everything was working perfectly! With two exceptions:
I still couldn't get into my account, and .dmg's still weren't opening, but this time it was due to a drive error or something with Stuffit needing a different engine. So I reinstalled that and now I can open .dmg's!

But I am still unable to get into my account, so I am transfering everything and creating a new one. :mad: Really wish I didn't have to, though...

Back