DMG & Windows/Linux

wiz

Registered
i'd like to know if there is any application out there for windows and linux to open .dmg files.

Or is this a mac-only standard?

dmg is a disk image standard introduced with Mac OS X, and supports some rather advanced features, such as encryption and HFS+ file system. However, you might try MacDrive: http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

MacDrive will let the PC read the HFS+ file system, though I don't know if it allows for mounting images. There is no provision in Windows for mounting disk images as volumes. Worth a try, though.

Is there a way to burn a mac bootable image in a PC Burner?
The image is a .dmg but I haven't found any PC Burner Software that can read this file as a disk image.
I there a way to do it?

Convert it to an ISO (CD/DVD Master) image with hdiutil in the command line, or use Applications-> Utilities -> Disk Utility to make the conversion in the GUI.

Gabriel Camiro said:
Is there a way to burn a mac bootable image in a PC Burner?
The image is a .dmg but I haven't found any PC Burner Software that can read this file as a disk image.
I there a way to do it?

Hi, I think I have searched the whole internet but still couldn't find a way to do this.

I have tried

1. ISO Buster 1.7 : Converted DMG to bin/cue. Burnt using Nero. In Mac OS 9.2, it says Files might be corrupt. Only folder and file names are readable. The contents are not.

2. Transmac 7.0 : Burnt the bootable DMG directly to CD. In Mac OS 9.2, it says Files might be corrupt. Only folder and file names are readable. The contents are not.

3. DMG2ISO v0.2c : Unfortunately DMG2ISO generates and error during the conversion. An incomplete ISO file is created which is unusable.

I wonder what else I could try. :(

Cheers,
McoreD

P.S: For non-bootable DMG files all teh above methods work. Mac OS 9.2 (the one I am using at the moment) can properly read the CD.

As I said they weren't corrupted but compressed. :(

Copy the DMG to your Mac using Network or Burnt Data CD

Applications :: Utilities :: Disk Utility
Images :: Convert :: CD/DVD Master and Encryption set to None.

It will create a file with cdr extension. Copy this to your PC.
Rename the .cdr to .iso

Burn the .iso using Nero. :)

http://www.computing.net/mac/wwwboard/forum/10311.html

The process in the link above worked for my uncle under XP Pro recently for a DMG of family picture I sent hit.

I could have sworn WinImage would open DMGs when I tried it at the office, but it's been a while (year+) and I might have saved the stuff as an ISO instead of DMG.

McoreD said:
Hi, I think I have searched the whole internet but still couldn't find a way to do this.

I have tried...

Have you tried MacImage and UltraISO?

I'm looking into the whole Windows/Mac/dmg/ISO/Hybrid CD thing now, and they look like they should be able to do the job.

I've also read something about problems with dmg files if you download them on a windows PC - something to do with the encoding, etc. it's in the MacImage help files.

Cheers!

Back