DNS errors

matt beals

Registered
I cannot seem to ping a internal or external address, or us nslookup. We use a MS Proxy server 2.0 and a watchguard firebox for proxy servers. DNS works under OS9/8 and win9x,NT,2k. I can't seem to figure out what is going on. Using Interent Explorer everything works fine, but I would rather use Netscape. Any ideas?

Matt Beals

Ok, let me get this straight:
Are you having trouble with DNS lookups, pinging, or both?
I'll assume: you have a Mac OS X machine that isn't networking correctly. On the same network, other computers running Win98/NT, Classic Mac OS, etc. work fine. Your internet access is via a computer attached to a modem or whatever that's running a simple proxy server.

On the OS X machine, Internet Explorer works, but Netscape and the Network Utility don't? (This part doesn't make sense; unless IE is getting web pages out of it's cache, if you can't use nslookup to find an address, neither can IE.)

Here's some advice:
Is your OS X machine getting a good IP address? That makes all the difference; a bad IP would prevent internet access, DNS lookups, etc. You shouldn't be able to ping outside of your local network (from any computer) if you're running a simple proxy server (I assume you're firewall is not acting as a NAT or router..).

Check and see what your other computers' IP addresses are, and manually assign a similar one to your OS X machine. Try pinging one of the other computers. If that works, then you just need to go into your web browser (which ever one you want to use) and set the proxy server addresses.

I continue to have a problem similiar to the one you state. My iBook worked fine with MacOS 9.2, but since I upgraded to MacOS X, DNS doesn;t work. I can ping IP addresses all day long, but I cannot ping DNS names, and IE doesn't work (using DNS names of course). I get specified server could not be found in IE.

I have upgraded from 9.2 to OSX three times now (I restore back to factory 9.2 using the included CD's), and always have the same problem.

Back