do firmware updates change sound?

nicodemus

Registered
I've been slowly driven insane by the awful sound I've noticed in my iPod in recent weeks. The treble has become painfully harsh.

I went out of my way to get some decent headphones, as I really appreciate good quality sound. They sounded great, and then suddenly a couple of weeks ago it was bad.

I went back to the shop and compared my phones with the sample ones I listened to - they sound the same. I current have no other player to compare with (except the Mac, which gives the same harsh sound).

The only things I can think of are:
1. the headphones have changed sound (not bloody likely)
2. there was a firmware update recently (hence this thread)

I was wondering if there is any possibility that Apple will modify the overall sound response of their iPods with firmware updates, in an attempt to appeal to the idiot market by introducing the digital equivalent of "loudness"?

Another possibility might be that the equalizers were changed, and this has distorted the sound. Have you checked this on the iPod (named "EQ" under "Settings")?

yes, I've checked all the obvious stuff. I think it's something more fundamental. I can only guess I didn't notice this when I tested them, or my ears have become more sensitive to that frequency. Was just curious about the possibility of any recent h/w or s/w updates to the player that might have caused it.

Equalizer and other stuff is ruled out. I even factor the difference in the crap I've gotten from P2P and the home-brewed stuff. It all sounds relatively different.

Worst thing is, I'm reeling from a wasted 50 Eur today. I impulsively bought some AWFUL Sennheiser earbuds in a desperation move. I'm so pissed with myself.

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to plunge for some Etymotics and hope that does the trick.

I'd seriously reconsider that. If technically no changes have happened in these weeks/months (and my iPod and Mac and iTunes still sound the same, for example), I'd consider your ears/brain to be "at fault". As bad as it sounds, buying more and more expensive headphones won't cure anything that is wrong at either the source (which you've covered by checking with other files) or the destination (yourself).

If possible, I suppose you want to isolate the different parts of the system and also get a second opinion.

For example... You could get friends involved and try swapping headphones with your iPod to see how the sound quality varies. If the sound stays bad regardless of the headphones used, and you therefore suspect the iPod, you could connect the iPod to high quality speakers (eg. through a friend's stereo system), where you trust the output quality to be stable. If you think this shows the sound quality really is bad and that there is a problem with the iPod, ask a friend's opinion. You can potentially decide whether or not it is down to you.

My main suggestion would be to swap components round (eg. headphones or MP3 players) with friends (I know you say you don't own other players that you can test) and see what the common denominator is when you have bad sound quality. This should isolate the problem.

Best of luck!

I have a pretty high-end system in storage right now, I'd love to compare with that, but not possible. It sounds as bad coming out the Mac, I think it is my brain.

I don't go expensive in the hopes of avoiding this prob, it's more that I spend up in that range anyway for sound.

I never had this problem with the Shure E3's, but the E2's I have right now are doing it. I can only put it down to a higher treble response than I noticed when I first listened to them. The E3's are a more neutral sound than E2's.

I'm sure they would sound awesome coming from proper hi-fi.

I would get some E3's again but don't like the fit, and want to try Etymotic anyway.

Thanks all.

Is there any way I could revert to a previous firmware version to check anyway? I assume the "restore" function will only reset the iPod at the current firmware version?

Back