Do I have to have .Mac to use the internet??

hehe-- no you dont. .Mac gives you extra harddrive space on the internet, as well as your own webpage/homepage, and a personalized e-mail address. It's nice, but not necessary to use the internet. .Mac is not an internet service provider, and you will need one to connect to the internet whether you decide to purchase .Mac or not.

Depends what you are planning on using your computer for. I have the package personally. I use the website to keep slideshows of my vacations around the world avalible for my friends to see. Also, my .Mac e-mail address is my primary one, and it is useful to use with iTunes Music Store as your account. I assume you are a student, so it is $70 a year for you. If you like your current e-mail address, and do not need webspace for any reason, then I think it would be a waste.

It's not worth it, IMMHO. I liked my username @mac.com, but I never used the other services besides email -- and I had some issues with the email, the look chief among them. I think Apple needs to lower the price overall, or offer reduced prices for users that don't all of the features. I'd pay $24/yr just for the email with more space.

I currently use fastermail because of it's features and reliability, and very low price (free or $14.95 for a lifetime account).

Back