Do I need to keep this?

fongster

Registered
I just used Software Update to update my 9.2.1 to 9.2.2 and there is now a folder on my desktop labeled "Mac OS 9.2.2 Update". I had already done the restart which I think installed everything and the About This Computer now says OS 9.2.2 --so can I trash it? The contents seem to match the same named items on the HD (the Utilities don't match, however). It also contains the 9.2 updater--didn't I just do that at restart or is that different? It's a big folder--29.9 megs so I'd like to get rid of it. Thanks in advance.

nope, you can delete it. it just contains the installation files. (i deleted it on my machine)

you could always archive it (burn it, wherever you archive your files) that way if you need to reinstall again (which will happen), you don't need to download the fargin 22mb + files.

Cool idea that's what I'll do. The files in that folder are all already installed automatically from Software Update, right? The Utilities creation dates didn't all match the ones I already have, so maybe those are items you can selectively/manually update? There are fewer items in the Update's Utilities folder than the one on my HD, that is what makes me think you just change out the ones you want otherwise you'll end up incomplete if you just replaced the folder.

Back