Do You Browse With Javascript Enabled?

themacnut

Registered
I'm asking because I'm going to be designing a new website for a webcomic I'm presently developing. Javascript will mainly be for cosmetic effects like mouseovers and such, but I may also use them for form verification (for email contact forms, etc. After my experiences with spam, no way I'm putting a new email address on a website again).

So tell me, do you have Javascript disabled when you surf? If so, why?

Regardless of wether people browse with it on or off, the least amount of JS you can get by with is the best option (none being best).

Agreed.

To answer the question, I frequently browse with it OFF. As with most web technologies, it is abused enough to make it worth turning off whenever possible.

With browsers like iCab (or add-ons like PithHelmet), I'll often turn JavaScript on ONLY for the sites that I know need it, and I'll leave it off for all others.

If you need it, then fine. I don't hold it against sites if they use JS for legitimate reasons. But I do hold it against sites if they use any "advanced" technology when a simpler, less demanding method would work just as well. (Which at this point includes about 99% of the web.... I am not a happy surfer.)

I've currently got it on, but I'm probably about to turn it off.

I'm not one for Flashy sites (pun intended) and little Javascript bits & pieces everywhere as I much prefer a simpler and less intensive site.

Good luck with the site, and be sure to post the link when it's all up! :)

I have it on, although a well structured site without Javascript is always a good way to go. Javascript has not affected my internet usage.

I leave it on out of ... well ... laziness. I hate Javascript, or rather, I hate the way it only ever gets used for annoying and stupid effects. Like all web technologies, less is more.

I have normally it on very limitedly. Thus --- I don't allow window resizing, hiding my address or toolbar, having references etc.

I always leave it on and let it do what it wants. The pages that have all that fancy JavaScript however I don't browse to, they piss me off.

Back