Do You Pay For Shareware?

Do You Pay For Your Shareware?

• Yes, always!

• Only if I have the money.

• I never pay because I'm a cheap bastard.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lol, I think the first option is completely pointless. If you don't have the money, of COURSE you won't be paying for shareware software. :rolleyes:

I used to not pay for shareware, but I have recently started doing so -- I still have a couple apps to register, though (Snapz Pro X, DiskTracker, PasswordMaster, OmniWeb, FruitMenu).

All in due time. :) Although I must say I probably have been paying for shareware more because I myself have become a shareware developer.

Only if - after trying it I decide I can't live without it and it's resonable...

I just recently started paying for shareware, and I got the bundle of Fruit Menu, WindowShade X and Xounds... :)

Now, can anyone tell me how to get rid of ASM? It's in my System Prefs panel and I can't figure out how to remove it. :p

Only if it's reasonable. OmniWeb's next on my list of shareware-to-pay-for once I have the cash...

I always pay IF I think I use it enough. Which is the point. I've registered Amadeus, Windowshade X and Dockswap. I'm intending on registering TypeIt4Me when I get paid. When I get myself a dedicated network socket at work and I can use it properly, I'll register SQLGrinder. When Omniweb 4.1 is properly released, as opposed to the betas and Sneaky Peeks, I will register that.

I haven't paid for any shareware in years because I haven't found any shareware in years that I couldn't live without (so I'm not using them without paying for them--I'm just not using them).

I think the last shareware I registered/paid for was NotifyMail back in 1995. That was helpful too me.

-Rob

I pay for the shareware that I use. I have tons and tons of unregistered stuff that is used maybe once a month, but until I think that I've used it enough to buy it, I'll just sit there. That being said, I DO register the stuff that I actually use ;)

I think there is too much shareware stuff. I understand that people work really really really hard to write an app. but why don't they just make it freeware? help out the Mac community. $15 for a crappy Tetris game? CMON! $25 for a FTP app? oh please! I can understand if you want to charge me for a giant app like Photoshop, but not smaller apps. If I was actually smart enough to write apps... I would give them for free. At this point... I would anything free for you guys :)

Thoth newsreader (it rocks, that's why)
QuickTime Pro (Full screen mode :D )

I was going to register DropStuff, but it is entirely useless since I know my way around UNIX-based systems.

I will register Omniweb once they release the next Major, non-beta release.

BBEdit is nice but it is a) too expensive and b) immature under OSX ATM.

My favourite editor is TeXShop, and that one's free (and thankfully, non-WYSIWYG)

Dear All,

I do but shareware if the price is right, like for example XSounds and WindowsShadeX. Price was right, so I bought it. Shareware that is too expensive for what it is, I won't buy. For example EV Nova, GraphicConvertor, BBEdit.

My two cents worth...

The only shareware I think I would pay for right now is OmniWeb... we need to keep them alive :) so they can make a better browser than M$ some day !

And I was going to pay for windowshade... but I am hoping Apple will give us that back with 10.2

I pay if it's really useful (or cool) stuff. I've paid for GraphicConverter, WindowShadeX, LaunchBar and Thoth. Planning to pay for OmniWeb when it's finalized.
I do love freeware, though! ;)

The only shareware i have every registered is EV Nova but thats just because i couldn't find it on Surfer Serials. Oh and it is a kick ass game.

I've paid for one piece of shareware in my life, and that was Melody Assistant, the best shareware music composition program ever, all things considered. I believe it was either $15 or $25 for a damn powerful program. Compared to the cost of every other composition software I've ever seen, it is an amazing value.

The only other piece of shareware I have is OmniWeb, and since I only use it to read documentation that on my hard drive (in style :D), I don't plan on paying for it.

Everything else I have is freeware.

GraphicConverter? Nope, ToyViewer, PixelNHance, and the GIMP and command-line image utilities (ImageMagick, Gif2PNG, etc) work just fine for me.

BBEdit? I'll take mi and vim instead, thanks.

HaXies? Well, I have to admit that WindowShade is a bit tempting. We'll see. But I haven't tried it yet. :D

-the valrus

Somebody would have to slip something in my drink to ever get me to pay for a webbrowser, let alone a non-standards compliant and non-tabbed one! :eek:

I'm cheap, but ethical, so I avoid using shareware. My versiontracker searches always start with Freeware... the last... and only piece of shareware I bought was Ambrosia's game called "Harry," where you would pilot this guy around the office while he rode around in his chair... very fun. Well worth the $20. :-D I've paid more for bad console games...

Originally posted by dricci
Somebody would have to slip something in my drink to ever get me to pay for a webbrowser, let alone a non-standards compliant and non-tabbed one! :eek:

At least it's better than the security-hole-ridden IE, the ugly Mozilla, the very-alpha Chimera, the bloated Netscape or the quirky iCab.

But I guess this shouldn't turn into another browsers thread... :rolleyes:

Back