Do You Pay For Shareware?

Do You Pay For Your Shareware?

• Yes, always!

• Only if I have the money.

• I never pay because I'm a cheap bastard.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Developing applications takes time. It takes more time to do it right. Freeware is always a nice idea, but I don't think that charging a small amount is bad for software.

I'd love it if the major applications (Photoshop, Toast, etc) were shareware. I hate buying garbage applications, since i can't get my money back.

I have purchased quite a bit of shareware for Windows, but for Mac so far it's been FruitMenu only. I use iGetter, but it still has some things I'd like to change, and it's expensive for what it is ($25-$30, IIRC).

I agree with you Nummi_G4; why charge $25 for a FTP app?
Charging for large programs like Photoshop, Maya, operating systems etc. I truly understand. But computers and programming isn't (shouldn't at least) just be about money, but about fun, - and freedom.

Personally I don't pay for shareware. Never have, and probably never will either. First of all I don't like the concept of "shareware". (Why put a program on the internet for free downloading if it isn't free?) Second, I really wouldn't want to pay (online) with my full name and adress for a small program I wouldn't know how long I would bother to use. Third, $25 for a small program?

Open Source is a great word. But I know that if everything was Opne Source great companies like Apple wouldn't exciste (at least not in the way they do today). And that would be a loss.

I suppose it's about finding the golden mean. :)

Kris

Hmm.. the last apps I registered that I found indispensible were:

GLterm - much faster than terminal.app, and now supports ANSI graphics
Snak - best OS X IRC client I've found thus far, and second only to BitchX
BabelBlox - annoyingly addictive puzzle game
GraphicsConverter - like anyone can live without this app
PixNewsLite - usenet binary downloading software
Limewire Pro - best way to find new music to sample
DragThing - now if one could completely get rid of the dock

On my list to register:

Omniweb - Because IE and Netscape suck bigtime.

I hate to admit it, but I've used bogus serials for alot of my older software.. but I find as I get older, I start seeing the true value in things and have less of a problem paying for reasonably priced software.

The last few commerical software packages I've purchased were:

Retrospect Express 5 - Better safe than sorry
BBedit 6.5 - totally indispensable for any sort of text/html/code writing.
Norton Utilities 7.0 - Just wished I would've known that speed disk doesn't work under OS X.

I would buy for shareware ( i would love to have fruitmenu... ) but i am living in austria and don’t have a credit card - the options for paying are poor :(

I can also live without Graphic Converter. I use Photoshop.

As soon as I get my paycheck... I am buying Omniweb and windowshade. Where can I get FruitMenu ?

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
I can also live without Graphic Converter. I use Photoshop.

As soon as I get my paycheck... I am buying Omniweb and windowshade. Where can I get FruitMenu ?

Same place you get Windowshade - actually you can get the bundle for like 19$ that includes Windowshade, Fruitmenu, and Xounds.

I'm very happy I got them - I NEED all three and the registration/nag screens where driving me up the wall! :D

Originally posted by dricci
Somebody would have to slip something in my drink to ever get me to pay for a webbrowser, let alone a non-standards compliant and non-tabbed one! :eek:

Yes this is so true. People who do casual surfing on the 'net think OmniWeb is cool because it's Cocoa and antialiased text. But, it's about the WORST browser out there. It barely supports any JavaScript and CSS. It's support of HTML is very strick compared to IE. Webmasters like me know that OmniWeb sucks hard, and IE will always be the best.

Originally posted by kainjow

Yes this is so true. People who do casual surfing on the 'net think OmniWeb is cool because it's Cocoa and antialiased text. But, it's about the WORST browser out there. It barely supports any JavaScript and CSS. It's support of HTML is very strick compared to IE. Webmasters like me know that OmniWeb sucks hard, and IE will always be the best.

YES, I totally agree. After I made a site, only using IE and some NN 4.7 to test it, i opened it in OmniWeb. AHHH! what a mess. Maybe I will pay for version 5 of OmniWeb. And if IE was shareware/not made by M$, I would pay for it.

And me being a webmaster, I happen to love omniweb. Try doing anything cool with cookies in IE ... that dog just won't hunt. I'm really tired of asking the question "What web browsers do you design for?" and getting an answer in terms of IE version numbers. It's friggin' information! You're supposed to Want it to be viewable! If you're concern is that much based on control and presentation, you should be designing quicktime movies instead of web pages.

I have purchased QT pro ... twice.

I have not yet paid for omniweb, I probably will. I have also not paid for iCab, I would have 6 months ago if they had let me, but now, it may be irrelevant. I'm just coming off a bit of a stretch being broke, so I'll probably buy more stuff in the future, as I remember how to spend money. :)

Back