Do you play an instrument?

How do you create music?

• Electric String (classical, bass, etc.)

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Percussion (drums, steel or otherwise)

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Wind (flute, clarinet, oboe, etc.)

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Shamisen, sitar, mandolin, etc.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Digital resampling/DJ-ing

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Voice

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Whatever's lying around!

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Keyboard (piano, synth, etc.)

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Started out on drums... 5 years... Moved on to bass/guitar... Bass for 6 years, Guitar (seriously) for about 6 years. Yeah, I sing too. My main focus is songwriting, and I have produced 3 CDs of my own material, and another where I was a non-writing member.

Haven't done much since I've focused more on the biz/fam and less on music. Pretty much achieved everything I wanted to do in music (sans the million dollar recording contract), so I'm content...

:)

like Serpico, i started with drums. 13 years ago. picked up guitar and bass about 6 years ago. next i got into recording/producing and thus i have my own (currently homeless) recording studio.

for the last 10 months i've been playing drums for a semi-successful local band in Denver. this is where i want to be, though we could stand to make more money (the constant free beer is a nice perk though).

and how could i forget, i sing as well. no one but my girlfriend seems to appreciate that, but hey, i don't ask for much.

oh and i only took lessons for drums for a year when i started out. everything else is self-taught. safe to say i'm the next Dave Grohl...

Originally posted by mr. K
you ought to put piano in the poll... lots of musicians play it, and it's not really defined above. technically the piano is a percussion insturment ( hammer hits the string and string resonates... ) so thats what i voted for.

Added keyboard to the poll and moved your vote ;)

I play the Alto Sax for about 6 years. Just picked up the guitar last year. And at faculty follies (I work at a high school, that is a teacher fund raiser) I learned how to play the bass guitar in a week so they would have a bass for the band that proformed 5 songs that night. The bass is much easier than the 6 string guitar, I'm having a heck of a time trying to play chords.

boneske

Originally posted by xaqintosh
DJing isn't necessarily creating music, more like editing it...
It certainly counts as "making music" for all of the folks listening on the dance floor.

We should applaud DJ's just as much as musicians.

Yes, it takes an ear to put rhythms and melodies together, but anybody can do it, and it takes great skill, practice and patience to play an instrument well. The difference between DJ'ing being making music and editing music depends on whether the DJ is using any original music files or using stock, borrowed or bought samples.

Shifting: I've been playing since August 2001, though I didn't get my kit until that October. I got a blue, Led Zeppelin-style snare drum not long after I started lessons, and I've kept it with my kit ever since. 2 snare drums rocks!

Originally posted by arden
Shifting: I've been playing since August 2001, though I didn't get my kit until that October. I got a blue, Led Zeppelin-style snare drum not long after I started lessons, and I've kept it with my kit ever since. 2 snare drums rocks!

right on. ;) never played with two snares, though i do own three of them. i'm all about power and simplicity, and my kit reflects that....here's a pic if you're curious. i'd like to see your kit if you have a pic...same for any of the other drummers that post here. ::alien::

The only digital camera in my house sucks badly, and scanning is somewhat of a burden. Plus I'd need an empty exposure on someone's roll of film (not too difficult with a dad who's an offtime photographer), but it needs to be convenient. If I can finagle a picture, I'll post one.

By the way, the pic isn't working. It says it can't be found (WinIE). Maybe try attaching it instead.

damn my webspace...i pay for this crap, believe it or not.
[/off-topic rant]

anyways, cool if you don't have a pic, i'm just curious.

Attachments

• brendan-hermans-022703.jpg
    brendan-hermans-022703.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 5
Tuba, clarinet, attempt to play the guitar (I need lessons!) and I sing from time to time (well, okay every night in the shower :p)

Piano/Keys and Guitar. I don't really count all the computer/sequencer generated music as an instrument.

70% of Canadanians and Americanians play a musical instrument. The 25% left either lie that they do, want to, or just cant be bothered. yay.

Androo: Um, Canadanians and Americanians? Do you mean Canadians and Americans? And I didn't know that 70% + 25% = 100%...

habilis: The computer is not an instrument per se, but you still make music with it, which is as cool as the music itself.

Back