Do you put your real name on your computer?

mauve

Registered
When starting a newly bought computer for the first time, do you put your real info in? If so, is it safe?
Also, when selling your computer, how do you erase all the private info?

Yes. I do so because it is an easy way to register the computer, and it's sent immediately.

When giving a computer to somebody else, in order to make sure the data is erased, start up the Mac from a System CD / DVD, then use Disk Utility to "erase" the disk, making sure the "Zero all data" option is checked.

Your computer will be full of personally identifying information within days of being new, especially in your email, so typing your name during registration will not add to your insecurity.

It's really online where you need to be guarded. I have several email addreses and login names that are reserved for use on less-than-100%-trustworthy websites.

adambyte said:
...use Disk Utility to "erase" the disk, making sure the "Zero all data" option is checked.

You can also check the 7-pass or 35-pass options, just be forewarned they take forever. Personally I'd suggest doing the 35-pass option.

Before I let the HD out of my iBook (parted out) go, I formated it without the Zeroing option. The I did it again with zero all data. Then I changed the partition to a different file system, changed it to another, and changed it back (regular formats each time a change occured). Ended the sequence with a 35-pass.

Overkill, I know...but I was kind of bored at the time (home for the holidays with nothing to do).

As far as the name, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like Willo24 said, it'll be full of that stuff within days anyhow.

Alright then.
I am thinking to buy a used computer from a friend that's still on warranty.
Will that warranty be transferred to me?

Yes.

If the computer has the basic warranty, just be sure to get also the receipt of original purchase, and just in case it would be good to have also on paper a mention of you and your friend selling this this Mac.
If the unit does have AppleCare instead, then for sure get it also on paper that you buy it from your friend, to have it transferred to you.

Most banks in the US will do free notarizations for their customers...might be worth getting that paper Gia talked about notarized while you're at it.

Back