Do YOU want the Trash back on the Desktop?

Do you want the Trash Can BACK on the Desktop?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm happy with it in the dock...I like having a completely empty desktop for some reason. I only keep temporary files about and get rid of those as quickly as I can...I guess I'm a bit of a neat freak ;-)

I think it would be cool to have an options where you could decide to have the trash...in the Dock or on the Desktop :rolleyes: .

What do you think?//Macfreak

I like it in the dock. With tinkertools I can pin the dock on the right side of the screen, so the trash is always at the same place (bottom-right corner). That way I don't need to know where I am dragging the items, I just hit the corner and viola!

[Moderator's Note:]

Sorry joeth,

Had to move this thread. It belongs in the Opinion forum, not the OSX Software forum. ;)

This is one of the best 'issues' that people had with Mac OS X in the beginning. 'Ah! Put my Trash back on the Desktop!' they were screaming. And I, too, thought it was in the wrong place at first. But I suddenly noticed that

a) I don't use it that much, really. I always hit Cmd-Backspace instead.
b) If I want to use it, it's much easier to find now, and I have things I actually *need* on my Desktop. It *belongs* in the Dock.

And it's like that with more than just the Trash. Things like what's in the application's menu and what's under the Apple menu. The way Mac OS X handles the elements feels much more natural to me, once I'm 'converted'. Of course, it's difficult to get rid of old habits, but it only takes _some_ time - and Mac OS X helps you, because the things are where you would expect them, if you hadn't used Mac OS 9 before.

LOL Yoda...

I would like it very much if you would post all of your posts like that. It might get kind of fun with the longer posts.

;)

A clean desktop is eyecandy.
Why clutter it up more than you have to?
Besides...all I have to do when I trash is right-click
with the mouse and delete the item.
To always have to go to finder or drag-drop is a bother.

I love changeing desktop pics often and enjoy
them too much to have anything else there interfering.
Dazmy view:)

Gambit

Currently about 71% of those who voted don't want the trash back on the desktop.

I'm suprised by this number. I didn't expect so many people to vote against the trash on the desktop.

I remember when OSx versions were first released, many people were upset at the move.

Seems that with time, people changed their minds ;)

Indeed. But how come they all wanted that?
When I complain about something Id like to have
a good or semigood reason for objecting.....usually ;)

Gambit

I think it's the age-old resistance to change that we all suffer in varying quantities. I even have to admit being one of the 'put it back on the desktop' throng when X was first released. Now, Cmd-delete and Cmd-E are the norm for me.

I've even turned off local hard discs appearing on the DT, so if I'm not currently working on something, my DT is completely empty. There's something comforting about that.. :)

Yes.

I'm trying to live a "dockless" life, so having the trash on the desktop would pretty much do it. Wastebasket is slow since it is an AppleScript and is bug-riddled, and I refuse to pay $6.95 for Trash X.

I'd like to see an option, so users can decide whether it stays on dock or on desktop. But that's not a big issue for me, as I use keyboard shortcuts instead of drag & drop to trash.

However, what I would like to see, is trash giving the feedback it used to re: no. of items in trash, & total size of what you are about to delete (which you could bypass with a different keystroke combo).

Back