does anyone actually OWN a new iMac g5?

A power supply doesn't have many ways of turning bad. In its basic form, it consists of two parts: a transformer and a rectifier. Transformers do wear out over time, but the build can be quite good. Hand-made transformers still last something like 5 years before you have major issues, and this was a hand-made Tesla Coil a couple electronics students made at my high school. The rectifier's job is to assist the conversion from AC to DC.

With how well known the technology is, and the fact that we build em by hand in high schools (in the US), one would expect that you could build a pretty good one these days. However, some of the cheaper manufacturers don't properly make sure the bits are of good quality before making the power supply.

Rather off-topic, sorry: I've let my PB's power brick fall down on the carpet floor once. Dead since. Glad they're not _that_ expensive anymore. Still: I didn't think they were _that_ sensible. Maybe it was caught in a bad angle or something. But I sure treat my new one better... ;)

Back