Does anyone else NOT like iPhoto?

Hello,
I just started using it today and for a free consumer app it is pretty cool. My too largest complaints so far

1) The export to quicktime only shows up if you have no pictures selected. That was unintuitive. I kept selecting the album name, going to export and not seeing the QT dialog. I had the click in the empty space of the preview panel.

2) I like the directory organization of the files BUT It breaks the Slideshow screen saver. I would like the screen saver to be able to select an album.

Thats it.

Originally posted by kilowatt
I installed iphoto and right away, the Apple System Profiler stopped working. It unexpectedly quits when I load it up.

Anyone else getting that?

YES! Apple System Profiler crashes now and gives me an error message. It will not run any more!

Originally posted by gumse
Finder alias don't work, but:
[localhost:~/Pictures] gumse% ln -s "/Volumes/data1/iPhoto Library" "iPhoto Library"

does the trick for you

Thanks Gumse, that really worked!
I now tested the app and put all my pictures from my last vacation in it.
What I found out that iPhoto takes a plus of around 20k per picture. That pumps up the size of my pics with around 10%. But I can live with that, as harddisks are cheap anyway.

Nevertheless, there should be a option to use multiple folders for the Application. imagine you burn some old pictures onto CD.
You have to import them again if you search for something, you can't just insert the CD and search on that.
And parents make a lot of pictures... ;)

Originally posted by jove
2) I like the directory organization of the files BUT It breaks the Slideshow screen saver. I would like the screen saver to be able to select an album.
I totally agree. I don't mind too much that it creates a mess within the Pictures folder, because it keeps them all organized within itself (duh). But now my screensaver cycles through the ENTIRE Pictures folder .. maybe that will be addressed in 10.2 if we start hollaring about it. :D

Originally posted by Ralph J.

actually, you can print more than one-up. click on advanced options in the print dialog, select layout from the pull down menu. there you can specify how many up you want.

This doesn't work. iPhoto appears to totally ignore that setting (at least if
you preview, I didn't try to actually print). However, I would doubt that you
would get what you want. The multi-up capability shrinks multiple pages down to fit on one page. So if I tried to 2-up 4x6's, I'd probably end up with 3x4.5's, and still a lot of blank space

I don't have iPhoto -- heck, I don't have OS X! -- but the blurb about tha app seems to be focussed on digital cameras.

Now that seems OK to me, but is there no support for scanners? Can you scan directly to iPhoto? Does it include any specific scanner support?

Just interested...

houchin,

yep, you're right... sort of...

i just tried printing two 4x6 photos 2-up. it did print them 2-up, but they were reduced to 3.75 x 2.75.

so, following that logic, i tried printing them 2-up as 8x10s. this time they were reduced to 6.125x4.

so, that method does work, in a way. although, i agree that it's kind of screwy, and not something a new user should have to struggle to figure out.

You should probably export the album you want the screensaver to use and then in the screensaver prefs point to that new folder. Works for me.

gumse,

I thought about that but as Tigger said, parents take a lot of photos, I really don't want to do an export every time I add a new picture of my little one.

Speaking of the little one - I have to go :)

Originally posted by vanguard

I have a question though. Can I save my slide show to a file and put it on the web for my friends/family?

Vanguard,

Select an album, got to Share and you'll see a Quicktime tab. You can choose the size and background color that'll show up on the edges if you have a mix of portraits and landscapes.

That QT file can easily be embedded into a web page or saved on iTools as a movie file, but before publishing, you may want to add a soundtrack if you're using Quicktime Pro :)

Originally posted by Holmes
The way iPhoto organizes all the files in the program itself is fine, but I totally hate the way it organizes the files on the hard drive. This is fine if you just browse your photo using that program alone but its horrible for trying to find the files later in photoshop. Folder within folder within folder! And if you want to add already existing photos to it, it'll make copies of EVERYTHING and organise them its own way. I wish it would just make ONE new folder every time you downloaded something from the CAMERA and maybe asked you if you for a name for the folder or something. If Apple wants this product to take off they need a solution to this problem.

i HAVE to agree w/ you. after all the posts of iPhoto, i downloaded it yesterday and i think it's a nice program, but certainly not gonna work for me. i have me photos organized in folders by date, and each photo named w/ the date and frame. when i import into iPhoto, i see that it doesn't even keep my image name, but rather re-names it to roll #+image# ?!?!? what's that all about?

cool program, but won't meet my needs unfortunately. :( i'd like something that i can view using MY EXISTING file structure and not altering it.

kafene.

vidiot1701, you may want to look into an AppleScript for your solution (until/unless iPhoto has an update that reads JPEG tags).

Anyone know if there's a photo program that's scriptable and exposes JPEG tags?

-Rob

Back