does iphoto work with images on comp already?

buggs1a

Registered
does iphoto work with images already on the computer or only with imported ones from digi cams? does iphoto work with all digia cams or just certain models and does anyone think apple will expand the list of cams it works with?

Since iPhoto works with any image that already exists, I think that will be the way to go with expanding the hardware that it works with. Although they'll add some stuff, I think they need to streamline the workflow for importing images brought in from other software, like say a scanner that doesn't run under X native. I couldn't get my mother to understand the workflow of scanning, importing, exporting as jpeg, throwing away the original bitmap and importing the jpeg. This workflow needs improvement. :-(

I asked about hardware like what cams it works with cus i have the digital cam that earthlink gave away in 2000. it's a crap one, but at least works. i also got the same cam from north point dsl when i signed up to have them for dsl. 2000. now i didn't use northpoint cus they took 6 months to install me and i canceled before they installed me cus @home cable modem came out, but i got to keep the digital camera they gave away free. i just wonder if it would work or not. i don't know model or brand cus there is no brand name nor model on the camera. not that i know. Digital DSC pro i think or something like that. I just wonder if it'll work in os x and or iphoto before i hook it up cus i have to look for the usb cable. and if it won't work i won't look for the cable.

if you have an extisive pic library ( such as myself ranging in the thousands ) you wont be able to import all at once ( not that i would sugest such a moronic thing ). Still the only way that you would be able to do this , is to first organize your pics into subfolders ( id keep the max of 35-50 per folder , purely for iPhoto's "film roll" feature , that organizes pics buy the import date. ) other than that your good 2 go.

why do you think it's moronic to import a library of a thousand or so? for me to arrange into folders would take weeks. i don't have any on the mac, but have ust wondered. i used to have a big collection of cool images, but then deleted them.

Originally posted by buggs1a
why do you think it's moronic to import a library of a thousand or so? for me to arrange into folders would take weeks. i don't have any on the mac, but have ust wondered. i used to have a big collection of cool images, but then deleted them.

well i say this because lets face it, iphoto is a cool little app, but its not exactly built for the "power user". Importing large quantities ( per se 4000 images at once ) will most likely cause it crash, and end up in some sort of file corruption for a couple of your images . BUT HEY! I've never tried it. All i said is that iPhoto wont let me ;)

I said import and selected the hard drive. i just file/import and said open to my hard drive. it did nothing for several minutes so i just closed it. in the help file it says you can import from a hard drive all images, cdrom etc. so i just said hard drive as a test hoping it'd find some images. i think it was working cus the import option was greyed out in the file menu, but not sure. also it envoked sharity to access my pc all the time too and when i click cancel in sharity it pops up again a minute later asking me to log in to pc. so i think iphoto will even look for images on the network as well cus sharity auto mounts the pc and it's a folder on my hard drive per say. so iphoto seems to even want to mount the pc network drives. but it gets in a loop or something cus i said do not log in to the pc and it kept making sharity ask me to log in to pc. weird.

it's also a bit of a disk hog. It copies all images into it's own folder, in your user folder, arranged by creation date. It was probably just trying to recursively scan your entire HD before it ever began importing (copying) the images themselves. The import option is meant for a camera, not files.

Back