does shuffle only work on one comp?

revolushn

Registered
So i got an ipod shuffle for christmas. While I was in the states. Loaded it up with a whole lot of music while i was there. No problem. Could change songs, upload songs all the jazz.

Now I am home. Back in New Zealand. The first time I plugged my shuffle into my iBook, it came up with "do i want to erase all songs on my device and replace with songs from my library?" (or something similar).

So my ipod isnt "broken" - it works fine, and i can listen to all the songs on it fine, but i cant view the list of songs through iTunes (v6.0.2) and don't relish the prospect of deleted all the music on there - it cost a bit of money and a lot of time to put them on.

Any ideas?

Thanks

- Rev

OK, heres what it says: "The iPOD" is linked to another iTunes music library. Do you want to change the link to this iTunes music library and replace all existing songs on this iPod with those from this library?"

Right -- all iPods sync with one computer only to prevent piracy (it would be too easy to take an iPod full of music to a friend's house and "give" him all the music on the iPod, or "take" all his music -- both illegal in the US).

There are ways around this using 3rd-party iPod sync programs -- a simple search on versiontracker.com should reveal a handful of programs that may do this.

You can always set the ipod to "manage my music manually" in the ipod preference pane in itunes (click on the ipod icon when your shuffle is connected to your computer). The setting is saved on the 'pod, so itunes will never ask you again if you connect it to another computer.
This enables you to drag own music from your own library to the ipod while preserving the tracks which already are on the ipod.

To make things even easier, there are applescripts available for itunes which let you select a song on your 'pod (within itunes) and allow you to copy music from the pod to your itunes library or somewhere else on your HD.

Back