Does sleep work with OSX?

tcooper

Registered
I haven't been able to get my system to go to sleep ever since I installed OS X. I also cannot find any information about this on the Apple Support Site. Has anybody got this to work? If so, what is the secret?

Thanks,
tc

iMac/Slot/128Mb

In the PB sleep only functions on portables.

don't worry it will work in the final,

thanks

I assumed it was my scsi card not letting the PCI bus go into low power mode (In OS 9 it displayed a warning when I tried.)

Now I don't have to worry about removing it

peter

Originally posted by VGZ
don't worry it will work in the final

Sorry, I've heard it will not be working in the final release. A real downer...

Works great in 4K73 on a desktop Mac. Not sure why it wouldn't work in the final. Not sure about portables, as I don't have one to test.

-rob.

Originally posted by fmalloy
Originally posted by VGZ
don't worry it will work in the final

Sorry, I've heard it will not be working in the final release. A real downer...

This is a rumor on msnbc. MSNbc!! Did you actually think this was true? The same site says that Winblows xp is faster and more crash proof than Mac OS X.

Don't trust all the rumors you here.

What I'd like to know is specifically, will true sleep be working on both PowerBooks and desktops? By true sleep I mean that it truly enters a low-power mode that won't eat your battery - not just blanking the screen and blinking the light.

Can anyone confirm?

In 4k78 sleep works perfectly on a TiBook 500. It works on a G4/400, but only if I remove the Adaptec 2906 SCSI card. With the card installed, the Sleep option is grayed out from the Apple menu, and hitting control-Eject won't even bring up the sleep/restart/shutdown dialog.

Well, the 4K78 build (student release) still has problems with sleep on the Powerbook. It seems to partially sleep..

a) Things plugged into the PCMCIA slot stay powered.
b) If you disconnect the power plug, the fan turns back on.

Sleep is working perfectly for me in the Retail Version. I have a G4 400MHz Sawtooth. Haven't tried it on my PowerBook yet.

I have a (bronze keyboard) G3 500, and sleep works fine. Both going to sleep and waking up are astoundingly fast. I may never bother to reboot again...

Sleep does NOT work in OS X 1.0 on my G4 :(

It's a standard PowerMac G4 500x2, 4 months old. The only unusual things are: a SCSI card (factory installed), and a couple of USB gadgets (Microtech CameraMate and Belkin Serial Adapter, neither of which have OS X drivers AFAIK...). If the SCSI card is the problem, is there anything I can do about it?

I got 2x 450 with SCSI, 2nd internal HD, and 2nd Video card...I'm not sure the SCSI card has to do with it though. I know I can only get X to boot for me if allm y SCSI devices are unplugged, my 2nd monitor is in, and my 2nd internal HD is off, sometimes the 2nd HD can be on though that's weird. But I can't sleep either, I determined it is either the SCSI card or my second video card...b/c sleep was iffy in 9.1 b/c of my second video card. But I know USB is not it b/c I got a kensington webcamera, macally mouse, and a gravis gamepad...They just arn't recongized by X.

Apple has TILs describing this... Apparently PCI cards automatically disable deep sleep right now. Hopefully this will be addressed tomorrow by the 4L5 release. If not, I'm sure it won't be long...

On my PB G3/300 (Old), sleep works wonderfully in the GM. It's goes to sleep more quickly and awakens virtually instantaneously. I haven't tested any power issues with PC Cards, though, and haven't really done much in the way of testing battery utilization.

Okay, so it looks like my (factory-installed) SCSI card's to blame.  But I need it!  Anyone know how to get Sleep to work without removing it?

Back