Does the Apple Wired Keyboard have a USB socket?

owen-b

Registered
Hi,

I'm using a 15" PowerBook G4 and want to attach an external keyboard to it when it's on my desk, so that I can place the PB on a plinth that raises the screen to my eye height, and then I can plug in the external keyboard so that my hands are at the correct height on my desk.

Thing is, I also have a Wacom tablet pretty much permanently connected to my PB so that's one USB port taken up, and I have a selection of printers and scanners that vie for the other USB port.

So, does the current official Apple USB keyboard have one of those expansion USB sockets to daisychain my Wacom tablet onto, and if so will there be enough power for the tablet?

Or am I going to have to get either a Bluetooth model (have read as many forum moans and groans about the reliability and build quality of that keyboard as I have read posts praising it on fairly shallow terms), or get the USB model AND a USB hub?

Cheers!
Owen

Yes, the USB keyboards act as USB hubs, whereas the wireless keyboard doesn't.

However: I find it easier to use a separate, powered USB hub. Connect all your devices to that one, and you'll have only one USB cable to connect to the 'book. Then you still have one free on the 'book for the occasional USB memory stick.

I've got the Bluetooth keyboard and have no complaints at all. I like it very much. As to USB, you can buy excellent USB hubs for less than $15.

Read the first review on the page you linked
Because the 2 usb ports on the back of the keybard now face the monitor. I can see how this suits Apple. They get a simpler plastic form, straigther edges for packing etc And I get...

Ah yes.

Thanks. Woops.

Sounds very annoying. Anyone recommend a keyboard that's well built and has expansion ports at the side? And maybe not white?

it's actually not annoying at all. it's just where they are. i would find it more annoying if they still came out of the side.

the main downside is that they are rather second-class citizens in terms of usb ports, being quite slow, and very weakly powered. an input device would be fine, the tablet, say, but anything resembling file transfer gets a bit tedious - ipods, external drives, scanners, digicams etc

My old G4 Quicksilver keyboard has 2 USB sockets, but they are only USB 1. I thought that keyboard USB was still v1.1 and that USB 2 was only on the main USB connection. Has it all changed?

'the USB keyboards act as USB hubs' - Apples' USB keyboards utilize a non-powered hub.

As for the USB ports facing the Mac, most U.S. dollar stores sell a type A Male to type A Female 152 cm (60 inches) cable ('eCircuit Electronics') ... for one dollar. Such a cable makes it easier for one to attach a USB storage device (thumb drive, etc.), or other low power (less than 100 mA current drain) USB items - quickly and safely.

Back