does this make sense??

cbrooks3

Mac Nerd
I was reading the article linked below and wondered if any of this could be true. I know there is a possibility of iPod soon supporting pictures syncing with iPhoto similarly to iTunes. I think it would be an awesome idea. But the thing that doesnt make sense is they go on to say that they believe that iPhoto would be available for Windoze if this does happen. My question is if you can get these 2 apps for Windoze, why go Mac?? I think one of the biggest selling points for the consumer line of macs is the iLife suite. Any opinions?

well... on the PC side there is Picasa by google which is probably as good as iphoto. so... they could always bundle Picasa with it

Does Picasa come with all sorts of spyware? I find it hard to believe in freeware on Windows anymore, especially if it comes from Google.

While the iLife apps are great, they aren't the only reasons people switch to Macs. I switched because of the nice integration of Unix under the hood. I know a friend who is planning to switch now after he saw me hit F9 on my machine :D. There are loads of reason to switch, and for some (many perhaps?) the iLife apps aren't it.

cbrooks3 said:
I was reading the article linked below and wondered if any of this could be true. I know there is a possibility of iPod soon supporting pictures syncing with iPhoto similarly to iTunes. I think it would be an awesome idea. But the thing that doesnt make sense is they go on to say that they believe that iPhoto would be available for Windoze if this does happen. My question is if you can get these 2 apps for Windoze, why go Mac?? I think one of the biggest selling points for the consumer line of macs is the iLife suite. Any opinions?
I honestly don't think the majority of new computer users (who haven't done extensive research) even know iPhoto exists. I've only become aware recently how cool it is to use iPhoto to create thumbnail web pages, etc.

I think the only two apps that make an impact are iTunes and iMovie (there are many, many cool apps on the Mac, but the majority of people don't know they exist). GarageBand has had some impact with people who were already looking to create music on a computer.

The majority of people on the planet still don't know what an iPod is (and a lot of those that do don't know why they're so great).

There are many many reasons to go to Mac, but the average consumer isn't aware of them (many still believe that Macs aren't compatible with the Microsoft world).

Kap

I disagree nearly EVERYONE knows what the ipod is and if they know it they know HOW great it is, it is not the same however as the computers I agree

Ceroc Addict, i agree with the compatability thing. The market needs to be re-educated very well, thats why i think apple should be advertising Mac OS X a little more. Even though its a hardware company (so to speak). To the consumor that doesnt really matter!

I also heard somewhere that the ipod has started exceeding sales of normal portable cd players?

That isn't _so_ remarkable, Quicksilver. Portable CD players have never made _real_ sense (skipping etc.) but were a 'viable' solution until something better came along.

DJ Rep said:
I disagree nearly EVERYONE knows what the ipod is and if they know it they know HOW great it is, it is not the same however as the computers I agree
When you own a Mac and talk to a lot of Mac/tech people, it's easy to get this impression (largely because your attention is tuned to "seeing Mac", you notice all the iPod commercials, etc).

However, show an iPod to a non-tech person and they'll say "What's that?" and their eyes may bug out a little.

Think of it this way:

Even if Apple had sold 1,000,000 iPods every quarter for the last 4 years (it's much less than this) that's still only 16,000,000 people who own an iPod. There are 6 billion people in the world.

So, less than 0.3% of the world population owns an iPod.

Kap

Originally Posted by Viro
Does Picasa come with all sorts of spyware? I find it hard to believe in freeware on Windows anymore, especially if it comes from Google
Not at all. I used it all the time when I went on vacation and had to use my dads hp. I thought it was an awesome program. Works almost just like iPhoto, but i found my self liking it a little more in some ways. It wasnt perfect but there were a few features that I would like to see iPhoto take on. It also seemed less sluggish, on a slower computer, but who knows how many things could've affected that.

Why wouldnt google be able to make it free? They are sitting on tons of cash, so why not?

There's a million reasons why people buy Macs, and I don't think a lot of it has to do with the iLife suite at all, maybe just iPhoto.

There's so much of an experience to be had for people of all applications. On one side you have the creative with Photoshop, Final Cut Pro etc, while it also caters for others with games, Microsoft Word, etc etc.

But I can see where you're coming from.

Veljo said:
There's a million reasons why people buy Macs, and I don't think a lot of it has to do with the iLife suite at all, maybe just iPhoto.

There's so much of an experience to be had for people of all applications. On one side you have the creative with Photoshop, Final Cut Pro etc, while it also caters for others with games, Microsoft Word, etc etc.

But I can see where you're coming from.
I think cbrooks3 was talking about the perspective of the "ordinary consumer".

Obviously a professional user, who's going to buy whatever top notch software they require, isn't going to base their purchasing decision much around iLife (except for maybe GarageBand).

Kap

Back