Doing a clean install; do I *need* Mac OS 9 for anything?

valdok

Registered
Before I get 10.2, I'd like to do a clean install and wipe everything and start clean. I don't ever use classic and right now it is pretty much a waste of space. My only reason for keeping it on my drive is that there is no easy way to uninstall it without getting conflicts with OS X, so I figured I'd wait to do with a clean install.

This may seem like an odd question, and no one may know; we'll see. I've heard that you should always install classic (OS 9) even if you plan on not using it at all. The main reason being that you cannot update firmware (or is it firmwire, can't remember) without having it installed. Is this true, and do I need classic for anything else if that is true?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm in the same boat - there are no Classic apps I need anymore. I decided to keep a very small OS partiition for various utilities like disk optimzation, disk warrior, tech tool... and the potential for some disaster. However, I did read you can do a "clean" install/reinstall with 10.2 without wiping out your applications, users, docs, settings... so if 10.2 does completely hose, there seems to be better options than in previous versions (though such problems are rare I think). I'd say keep an OS 9 partition until 10.4 or something.

Don't forget about the apps that needs to be initially installed under Classic, then patched to work on OS X. They are still too frequent (Toast for example), and easy to forget about since it may have been a long time ago since you installed it.

Originally posted by GrBear
Don't forget about the apps that needs to be initially installed under Classic, then patched to work on OS X. They are still too frequent (Toast for example), and easy to forget about since it may have been a long time ago since you installed it.

yeah that is the main problem appleworks for instance came with my iMac, but its a classic install, and refused to install off the disk. I had to install classic just so that i could get back a few applications (appleworks, toast, and a few games).

I had no intention of reinstalling Classic, but in the end i had to. I am just going to leave it there now (it only takes up about 100Mb Disk space anyway) I can always delete it later!

Back